Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #1 
CrazyBirdLady

Snails!

Hey everyone,

We have about a 2 gallon tank for one of our bettas and thought it might be fun to get him a snail to keep his tank clean.. we just bought a Zebra snail today (unfortunately we just cleaned the tank yesterday though so it's spotless! haha) but the snail keeps climbing out of the tank! From googling etc. it seems as if it means the snail isn't happy in there, is it just because it's too clean and there's nothing really for him to eat right now? I'm going to get some algae flakes for him too, but I was going to wait until tomorrow when I work.. does he need them right away?

Also, the tank is more of a giant vase, if we were to make some sort of make shift lid for it, what would be an appropriate material? like cheese cloth or something?

Thanks a bunch for you help! :)
CrazyBirdLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Critters that are sold and used for clean-up crews need to have supplemental feedings or they will starve to death-most of these critters only eat some of what we don't like to see in our aquariums not all or everything...there will never be enough of the right type of food for them naturally made in a closed system....your snail may be leaving because it is hungry or feels threatened someway-make sure and provide a food source and someplace for it to call home and some critters like shrimp and snail try to leave no matter what you provide for them...so a lid of some type is a good idea too.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #3 
CrazyBirdLady

Thank you! After returning him to the tank twice he decided he might as well stay in there! He's climbing under the roots of the bamboo plant that's in there. I shall buy him some algae chips tomorrow though!
CrazyBirdLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #4 
GravityKitty

I also heard you can grow your own algae by putting some aquarium safe rocks in a container underwater in the sun. Once you have some algae, you can return the rocks back to the tank and the snail can eat that.
GravityKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:22 PM   #5 
Capricorn

Two gallons seems a little small for a betta and a snail, though.. snails are huge waste producers, you'll have to be doing a lot of water changes to keep up with it. In addition to algae flakes/chips you can feed them vegetables like romaine lettuce and cucumber, I believe.

Good luck with him. O:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #6 
Duncan13

True, but lettuce and other vegetables tend to foul the water really fast, so I agree, lots of water changes if you want to keep both the betta and the snail.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #7 
TaylorW

Would snails eat Marimo balls? They are completely made out of algae and would look cute and keep the water cleaner! And maybe the snail would munch on them :P
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote