Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #1 
crazychef

Floating sideways at the top

Okay...so I bought my Betta last night and have him in a pretty small tank right now maybe...a liter. I know it's horrible, but it was the only one i could get with a lid lastnight and will be getting a different tank for him today with a filter and a heater. I haven't fed him yet because there was food in the container I bought him in and someone told me he would get bloated. I used a water conditioner and room temp water in his little tank and also tried to move him around as little as possible when taking him home and have avoided keeping him in any harsh lights. He was started doing this when I got to the car with him...my sister seems to think he is just stressed, but perhaps I bought an already sick beta? Other than the floating...he looks fine. No swollen areas, no fungus or visible parasites. However he does seem to have quite a bit of color loss.

Is there anything I can do? I'm afraid to change his water for fear of him stressing out. Please help, I feel so bad for him
crazychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #2 
Adastra

Try your best to get a tank that is at least two gallons in size. Most quality heaters are designed to be used in containers that are two gallons or larger. If you're going to get a filter, try to get a tank that is around 3-5 gallons in size--filters don't do much good in tanks smaller than that because the ammonia builds up too quickly for the bacteria who live in the filter to break it down into nitrate, and the frequent cleanings would cause the colony to constantly fluctuate--leaving your fish vulnerable to ammonia and nitrite spikes.

When shopping for a heater, buy one that has an adjustable temperature dial. Cheap heater pads, pre-set heaters, and other non-adjustable heaters don't work on any thermostat, so they often overheat the water or don't heat it enough simply based on whatever the temperature of the air in your house is. Don't waste your money on them. Here is the 25 watt heater I use and recommend for small tanks: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368

There are lots of cheap ways to keep your betta properly--if you cannot afford a lot of purchases right now, put all your money into getting the heater and instead of a tank, go to walmart or target and purchase a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin. These bins are very cheap (4 gallon bins are about $3), easy to clean, and safe to heat and keep fish in. Your fish can stay safe and warm in this container while you save up the money necessary to purchase the tank you really want.

If you can afford a tank kit now, I recommend the Marineland Eclipse 3 and 5, they are quite well priced and come with a power filter and a good fluorescent light for growing plants. You can also get the cheaper 3 or 5 gallon kritter keeper style tanks and a cheap sponge filter with an air pump.

Make sure you purchase a good dechlorinator at the store that removes chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia. I recommend Seachem Prime because it is concentrated, so it will last longer and you'll get the most product for your money. As far as food, you should look for a high quality pellet brand like Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets, Atison's Betta Pellets, Ken's Betta Crumbles, and New Life Spectrum. You might want to google the ingredients lists for the pellet brands I've listed in case they're not available so that you will have an idea of what constitutes a quality pellet in case you have to shop based on ingredients. Frozen food is also a very good supplement to any betta's diet. There should be a small freezer section in the fish section of most pet stores--you should pick up some frozen blood worms or brine shrimp when possible, since variation is very important to betta nutrition. After all, one single pellet brand does not constitute complete nutrition. Remember to pre-soak any dry food you give to your betta in a little bit of tank water until it is rehydrated. This will prevent the food from expanding in the stomach later as it absorbs water in the fish's gut, which causes bloating, constipation, and other issues.

As for your current problems.. your fish may improve dramatically once he's in consistently clean water and has adequate heating. Many of the fish in the pet store are suffering from overfeeding, ammonia poisoning, and exposure to cold temperatures. Keeping his water clean is very important, as long as you very slowly acclimate him to the new water, his stress should be minimal. When you get your heater, don't immediately set it to 80 degrees and plop it in. Set it close to room temperature and adjust it a degree every few hours so that the temperature of the tank warms up very slowly--if it heats up too quickly you may shock the fish. A container that small should be cleaned 100% every day. Here is a thread on how to change your fish's water safely in an uncycled container: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Is there any way you could post a picture so we can tell whether or not he is bloated? Have you seen him pass feces yet? What did the feces look like? Sometimes abnormal feces can be a sign of internal parasites.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-29-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #3 
crazychef

I couldnt get any good pictures...whenever he sees the camera he starts flailing and freaking out. I haven't seen him pass feces yet...should I fast him or give him pease?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 
Adastra

Do you think he is bloated? The area around his ventral and pectoral fins should be smooth with the rest of his body and not puff out significantly. If it does, he may be bloated and it would be a good idea to just fast him for a few days.

What kind of new setup are you thinking of getting him into?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #5 
JessG

Are you changing his water? Because in a small container, he really needs clean water. It sounded like you weren't because you were afraid of stressing him.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:06 PM   #6 
crazychef

I haven't changed it yet today...this is our first day together, I got him last night. He does look a little bloated. I'm think about getting him into at least a 2 gallong tank
Old 10-29-2010, 03:12 PM   #7 
JessG

He may have been in a high ammonia situation in the cup in the pet store if they didn't change his water enough, and ammonia builds up quickly in small containers. Keeping that water clean, warm, and dechlorinated is essential.
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #8 
crazychef

I'm really afraid that it might be too late to do anything, he's hardly breathing...i just changed his water...to the room temperature water that i let dechlorinate and sit over night =(
Old 10-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #9 
Adastra

At this point all you can do is give him some peace and quiet and try not to peek in on him or disturb him too much. Try to keep him in a dim, warm place in your house away from drafty doors/windows, electronics, vents, fans, direct sunlight, etc. I would not medicate him with anything since you don't know exactly what his problem is--however, some methylene blue might be helpful to him if you can find it. It's very gentle, and it can help with ammonia poisoning and will help prevent a secondary infection. I usually give all my new arrivals a methylene blue bath before putting them in their new tank because their cups are so dirty in the store or at their previous home.

If he ends up passing away, you should really try to get your money back. It's sad that the store sold you such a sick fish and put you through all this--they should have to refund your money or replace the fish. :( Best of luck, I hope he pulls through for you.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-29-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:51 PM   #10 
crazychef

Well, I'm going to do my best. Thanks for all your help you guys.