Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #1 
bd1wdd

Males and sororities

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice! I noticed my local aquarium store was selling female bettas a few days ago. Now, I'm wondering, I've heard females can live together if you keep them in a group of say 4-6, and keep an eye on them. But I also know that you have to condition a male before you introduce a female for breeding, or else things could get nasty.

So, what I'd like to know is, can you keep a male with a group of females in the same tank, and on a permanent basis? Or would he attack them?

I have a red veiltail male, who's pretty aggressive (he polished off ten pounds worth of amano shrimp :() but great to watch!
bd1wdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 
peaches3221

NO you can never put a male betta with another betta, male or female!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #3 
bd1wdd

Ah thanks a lot! Any ideas for interesting tank mates? At the moment I've got a couple of african dwarf frogs, two sunset platys, a shoal of neon tetras and three three-line corys. I did have five amano shrimp but Diemos developed a taste for them sadly!! I wish he would eat my pest snails instead :(
Old 10-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #4 
peaches3221

your welcome! what size is your tank?
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #5 
bd1wdd

125 litres :)
Old 10-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #6 
peaches3221

so about 30 gallons? hmmm, your tank may be a little crowded as is. how many tetras do you have?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #7 
bd1wdd

Yes I reckon so :) I have ten. Maybe it is! I thought it was nearly fully-stocked but a stocking calculator said otherwise :)
Old 10-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #8 
Adastra

If you have additional space in your tank, I suggest adding more of the same species of cories so that you have a full shoal. They are very social fish and benefit from being kept in larger groups.

As for the platies, I'm not a big fan of keeping them with bettas. They can be bullies and can illicit aggression from the betta due to their coloring. They also prefer harder water with a higher salinity than the other fish you've chosen. If you're going to keep platies in the tank, I think you should get more of them. They will be happier in a larger group--if I were you, I would try to get all the same sex so that your tank doesn't erupt into a soup of baby platies..
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:03 AM   #9 
bd1wdd

Adastra, thanks for the advice. I'd never had a problem with the platies with bettas beforehand, however I have a male and a female and I notice my new betta occasionally flares at the male. There have been no problems as of yet though. I'm going to add to my corys in the next few days :) just wondering, would it be a bad idea to have zebra loaches with the betta? I know zebra loaches are shoaling fish so I'd need a group and they get to a decent size so I don't know if I would get them anyway, but I'd only be getting them if they would get on okay with my betta. You see my problem is I have had an explosion of snails in the tank, they must've came in on some new plants, and my assassin snail just isn't doing the job - some of the snails are now bigger than him! So, any ideas on good snail eaters for a betta tank?

Oh and I had good news, saw an amano shrimp today! Perhaps they aren't all dead at the hands of my betta. If they're just hiding though, I really don't have a clue where...
Old 11-01-2010, 06:08 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

Just an FYI reds are more aggressive than other strains so watch him carefully. I've had reds rip one another to shreds....then I have to tear down the spawning tank and start all over :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote