Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2010, 05:41 PM   #1 
eclover09

King Betta Care?

So lately my mom has been very interested in having her own Betta. She's always supported my obsession of them lol but the past month she's really gotten into it, even helping clean my tanks and spending time watching them more and she expressed she would like to get one that's her own. She's always loved the King one's best, I think that's what sparked her interest to have her own. Last month she saw King betta's for the first time and just fell in love with them, she thinks there the best out of all the different types.

So, the other day my mom and dad went out running errands and stopped at Petco to buy new toys for my dog, and when I came home my dad ended up telling me my mom fell IN LOVE with this one Betta and with my mom, she does NOT fall in love easily with animals, she's very picky. He mentioned it was a King, but that it was HUGE and that it had really nice colors unlike the other ones. He tried to convince my mom to get it, but she said there were too many fish in the house already, which my dad told her they were my fish and my responsibility, of course, and that she should get one of her own for their room. Apparently she actually debated getting it and was looking at five gallons, but my mom has this thing where she doesn't think she deserves things -.- Clothes, furniture, anything, she'll want it then think about it to much and not buy it.

So I went yesterday after work to see what the big thing was about this fish. King's aren't really my favorite, simply because at the pet stores I've been too there only like black and dark green. My friend works there and she mentioned she saw my mom with this fish, so she takes me over to see it. IT. WAS. A. BEAST!! Seriously, compared to the other King Betta's there, it was TRIPLE there size and not only was it a King, but a Halfmoon King that was this very pretty shimmery lilac and green, no black or anything that I remember. I mean this thing was so BIG it's head and tail fin literally pressed against the edges of the cup, it had to like make a Z of itself just to semi fit. My mom fell in love with the color, I was simply amazed by it's size. I went back home and talked to her about it and I told her she should buy it, but she gave a million excuses, but I know my mom too well, I can tell she is in love with it.

Soooo the point of this is, I thought I read once that King Betta's had different needs then normal Betta's? Not sure if this is true or BS I read somewhere, but before I even consider getting it for her as a surprise I want to make sure if there is a special way to keep them I can be able to provide it that care, or well my mom provide it that care.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

I originally thought that Kings required different care needs but if it is in fact a king (which are just large bettas, not giants) than it shouldn't have any special care needs (besides a larger tank). Giants are prone to develop problems with bloat if fed dried foods and most breeders recommend only feeding them frozen or live but since Kings aren't genetically the same as Giants I don't think that is an issue.

You wouldn't want to put a huge fish into a 2 gallon tank. IMO the smallest they should be housed in is 5 gallons, with 10 being more preferable.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #3 
eclover09

I assume he is just a King and not a Giant, though he absolutely dwarfed the other King Betta's there. I'd definitely get at least a five gallon, to put him in anything less would be just as bad as him being in that cup. Here's a picture I took on my phone, doesn't do any justice to his true color but shows some of his size.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #4 
Alex09

Im pretty sure that care is the same. I feed mine a LITTLE bit more than I did with my other betta.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #5 
anglnarnld

Omg, you need to buy that for your mom!! How much is it??
anglnarnld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #6 
eclover09

Well that's good to know : ) If he's still there tomorrow then I may just get him for her. My friend said a lot of people have been picking him up and been interested in him cause he's so big lol so he may be gone already, but hopefully not.

Edit: And at Petco King's are about $14.00. He's a halfmoon King so he may be more, but it doesn't state on the sign any price for a halmoon King so dunno.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I had one in a 2 gallon. He did great....then I was at PetCo a few weeks ago and theyre bigger than they used to be.... :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #8 
celine18

HES AS BIG AS YOUR FINGERS!!!!! OMG!!!
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #9 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclover09 View Post
Well that's good to know : ) If he's still there tomorrow then I may just get him for her. My friend said a lot of people have been picking him up and been interested in him cause he's so big lol so he may be gone already, but hopefully not.

Edit: And at Petco King's are about $14.00. He's a halfmoon King so he may be more, but it doesn't state on the sign any price for a halmoon King so dunno.
There is a halfmoon king at my petco the same color and size! LOL!
I looked at him a million times today but I wasnt sure about care being different either.
But my petco charges 14.00 for the normal kings, $30 for the HM.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

I really can't see paying that much for a pet store fish. I'd rather spend the $30 and get a fish who has been well taken care of.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote