Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #1 
Jupiter

Some speculation, please give me advice.

Alright, humour me for a bit while I think things out...

(You can skip over this part if you really want to, lol)

I'm done with this 10 gallon, I know that much. It seems that any fish I've put in there ends up dying. Furthermore, it's become a pain for me to clean and maintain.

I've had Janus for only a little over a week, but I love him a lot. I haven't been this attached to a betta since I had Renard.

So that being said, the fact that his tail is not improving is only making me worry more, especially since he is in the 10 gallon. I really want him to get better.

SO, I am going to take down the 10 gallon for now and buy Janus a new home!

This much I have resolved to do. I've also (surprisingly) recieved my mom's approval to do so (despite the fact that I don't live with my parents anymore, I still feel the need to call them to ask how I can spend my extra money so I don't get scolded, LOL).

Now this is where I need your help.

As far as tanks go, I fortunately have some gift money that I got from my grandpa last March for New Year's. So I WILL finally be able to buy a proper tank. It'll very likely be a 5 gallon tank, which is currently what his divided section has anyway.

I'm really leaning towards the Marineland Eclipse 5 gal. hex. At Petsmart, because I have a card, it's a bit cheaper than the Minibow, and I just like the design better. The filter seems good, too. But between minibow and Eclipse, which do you prefer and why?

I know there are people who have the Eclipse with their bettas. How is the filter?
And just to double check, would I be able to put some media from my current filter into the filter of the hood? Is there enough room? I don't want to start cycling all over again!

Secondly, a heater. My Marineland Stealth heater is 50 watts, but it hasn't been working lately. But I've had really bad luck with heaters...
So what sort of heater would you suggest for the Eclipse (if I were to get it?) I might just go get another Stealth heater, not sure.

Thirdly, I am going to attempt raising some live plants!
Please give me some advice (or correct the ideas that I have):
-Fluorescent lighting is better
-I should be looking for a bulb that is 2 watts/gallon (so about 10 watts for a 5 gallon)

I've been thinking of Java fern, Java moss, Dwarf Hairgrass, and Malayan Aqua Fern.

Well, I know the first two are readily available at Big Al's, and I've seen Hairgrass being sold occasionally at Petsmart, but I don't think I've ever seen the Malayan Aqua fern.

I've never liked the way Anubias looks, so I probably won't be trying that out...

Now, most of the plants I've picked are listed as being low/moderate light plants. How long should I be keeping my light on? I was thinking of turning it on in the morning before I leave for school, and turning it off when I get home, but that's about (or a little more than) 10 hours. Isn't that too much? Or is it too little? I have no idea, lol.

I know that Java fern and moss should be tied to something rather than planted, but what sort of bottom substrate would you recommend if I get some plants to plant? The top layer will probably be black gravel (while I love sand more, my fine gravel has become a HUGE pain in the butt to clean!).

Oh, he'll also be getting the moss ball transferred over, though he doesn't care about it at all.

I think that's it for now. Any comments/suggestions/advice?

Anyway, I hope all goes well for this little project. I'll try to get the tank next Friday, the day my classes end early. And I hope Janus likes his new home and starts to heal! Sorry for the novel, lol!

So for those who want to skip all that and help me with the questions:

1. Mini-bow 5 gal or Eclipse 5 gal?
2. How is the filter of the Eclipse? Will I have room in the hood to put my current filter media in to seed the tank?
3. What sort of heater would you recommend for the Eclipse?
4. Is the lighting I'm thinking of appropriate? For moderate/low light plants, how many hours should I keep the light on?
5. Are the plants I've listed good ones?
6. What sort of bottom substrate should I have below my gravel for the plants, if any?

Last edited by Jupiter; 10-24-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:40 PM   #2 
Posaune

Well, I can't answer any of the questions above, but I can ask my own question.

if the ten gallon seems to have some unknown problem in it, wouldn't transferring over the filter substrate and maybe the moss ball possibly transfer over the problem also? (I'm thinking along the lines of bacterial/viral/parasitic issues)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:08 PM   #3 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post

if the ten gallon seems to have some unknown problem in it, wouldn't transferring over the filter substrate and maybe the moss ball possibly transfer over the problem also? (I'm thinking along the lines of bacterial/viral/parasitic issues)
Agreed. I Doubt it's the tank itself that's killing your fish, if anything it's probably something INSIDE the tank.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:13 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post

That's true. Cycling again will be a bit of a pain, but I've done it before without the aid of plants. I'll probably go to a petstore and see if they're willing to give me something to seed my tank with.

Throwing the moss ball out will be a shame, though. I really like it, even if Janus doesn't. Oh well, I hope they still sell them at the petstore.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

If you are going to take out the gravel, etc. I would bleach the 10 gallon and reuse it. The bleach should kill anything that's in there and in my opinion my 10 gallon is the best tank I've ever bought. But if you're stuck on getting a new tank I would get the Eclipse. I've never owned one but my Mini Bow 5 gave me a constant headache. The filter really wasn't very good and the shape of the tank warped the fish. I also didn't like how it sits on top of the colored plastic, I thought it made it look tacky. The Eclipse tanks look far more neat and would go with any room. I have a 10-20 gallon heater that I use in a 5 gallon, I've had it for years and have never had problems. Not sure what the brand is, but I think it's the only one Walmart sells. Hope this helped and good luck with the new tank!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Thanks for the opinion. I'm pretty much set on a new tank, because I've always wanted want that came with a hood, lighting, and an integrated filter (none of which my current 10 gal has), like the Eclipse does.

But I won't be throwing the 10 gallon out. I will probably end up using it again later on, so I'll bleach it when I go to see my parents (currently don't have any bleach of my mown).
Old 10-24-2010, 04:33 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

Okay, I get it :) Plus tanks are way better looking with lights! I know a couple of the members here have this tank and really enjoy it. Just thought I'd throw out another option. By the way I love your white HM, he's one of my dream fish haha!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hawkeye-5-...arium/14660258
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Thanks! I love him a lot too, I've always wanted a white HM. :)

That was also a good looking tank that I considered, but I haven't found it being sold anywhere around here (I'm not allowed to buy anything online). They sell the wavy 2 gallon and the Aquaview 360, but not the 5 gallon.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #9 
SilverCaracal

I have a 2.5 gallon minibow and it works fine. I originally wanted the eclipse, but I couldn't find any at Petsmart. I use larger sized gravel or rocks. They're a lot easier to clean and not messy.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #10 
Jupiter

Yes, though I love the way my fine gravel looks, I find that recently I jsut can't get it clean no matter how often I clean it...so I'l be switchiing to gravel, which is easier.

But can anyone recommend a heater? Because I've always had bad luck with them, I don't want to go buy yet another one that won't work in my future Eclipse.