Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #1 
effy

velvet or fungus?

Hi All,

I am having a bit of a crisis. I have had a problem with my tanks for about 2 weeks now, and the bettas are really starting to worry me!
All of my fish (apart from fry, few!) are very skittish and scratching themselves on everything. When I look closely and the light hits them i can see slightly whiter patches on the community tank fish (female bettas, neons, some endlers)

The male bettas are in a divided tank with shared water. They are the worst affected, sitting at the top of the tanks, loss of colour, then changing to racing round the tank (to scratch) and rapid gill movements. They still eat though.

I have already used an all round treatment for the first week, but no improvement. Then started a treatment for Ich (thought it was this) and so far that hasnt worked, although the treatment isnt complete yet.

What should I try next? I'm really worried for the males as they are so unhappy!

Housing
What size is your tank? male divided tank, 21l, community, 200l
What temperature is your tank? raised to 29C (reccomended for treatment of parasites)
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? not needed
Is your tank heated? yes, 29C normaly 27C
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? stated above

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? atm bloodworm. normally bloodworm and hiraki pellets (soaked)
How often do you feed your betta fish? every day, sometimes twice, one starve day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% unless more needed according to water test
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? declorinator, pant food for community tank

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:the one after 0ppm (cant remember but good)
pH:-
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Duller, slightly whiter patches
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? itching on plants, sitting at top, generally being grumpy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? stated above
Does your fish have any history of being ill? one of the males has fin damage
How old is your fish (approximately)? male bettas 6 months old. neons and other communal fish vary, but up to a year old

Thanks, sorry for it being so long!! I will see if i can get pictures

Effy
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #2 
Adastra

Is there any way you can get a picture or describe the patches in more detail? This sounds kind of like chilodonella, which doesn't have cysts the way ich does but can make white patches and is extremely contagious. Perhaps googling pictures of it will help you determine if this is what it is. If so, I recommend treating it right away with malachite/victoria green since it is worse than ich or velvet, and is unlikely to respond to salt, copper sulfate, or methylene blue.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #3 
effy

Okay. I have had a look on google, and there arent many good images, but it looks slightly like that on the neons, but not as raised or as furry looking.

I would say the bettas dont look anything like that, the lighter colour one has a velvety look all over, but maybe thats the skin cloudiness caused by excess mucus, and the fact that they dont have such bright lighting as the neons...
If it is this chilodonella then my males might be too far gone to save according to one article i just read :(
I will have to wait till tomorrow to get pictures, if i can get them. It is hard to see by eye let alone by camera!
Old 11-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #4 
Adastra

Velvet typically looks like yellow granules scattered across the fish, you see them most prominently in between the scales. It helps to darken the room and shine a flashlight across the fish. You might want to try that.

How are the fish behaving? It seems like if this was something more insidious they'd be sickly and lethargic.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #5 
effy

The two male bettas are very sickly and lethargic, but eating. all the rest of the fish are just slightly more skitish, and scratching themselves but no other change. will try the flashlight thing thanks