Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #1 
Welsh

Dwarf Gourami

After my recent situation with the killer sorority betta my tank is looking
very empty All night I have been researching different fish, that stay small, are pretty and colourful. I then thought of gouramis, in particular the Dwarf Gourami. I've heard a lot about these fish and know they are similar to bettas which is why I was wondering whether these can be kept with another female betta? also are they exactly like bettas where the males and females need to be seperated?

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #2 
weluvbettas

You can keep males and females you just have to have a few females to every male i think. If you go for a dwarf gourami go for a neon dwarf gourami. I have two and there amazing!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:59 PM   #3 
Welsh

But wont they think the female bettas are female gouramis?

Those are the ones I've been looking at, they are gorgeous should add some real colour to the tank

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs/...e.801-571-8500

This is the one I want

Last edited by Welsh; 11-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #4 
weluvbettas

wich one there loads of them??? lol. Andyeah they might think the bettas are female gouamis . Oh and by the way they build great nests!
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #5 
Adastra

Most of the dwarf gouramis in America over the past few years have become afflicted with Dwarf Gourami Disease. It is terribly unfortunate, but the sad truth is that many commercially bred Dwarf Gouramis end up dying within a matter of months for largely unknown reasons. This doesn't seem to affect other gourami species, but the dwarves in particular, likely due to overbreeding and irresponsible treatment in fish farms are vulnerable on a large scale. I don't know if this is as big of a widespread problem in the UK since it's possible that you guys have different sources over there, but personally, I don't plan to ever purchase a dwarf from anyone other than a private breeder until this is somehow resolved.

They also can be aggressive and territorial, not a great candidate for cohabitating with bettas, unfortunately, especially because they are also anabantids. I have had luck housing sparkling gouramis, however, with a half-giant plakat, but they are much more skittish than dwarves.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote