Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #1 
ColtenB

Plants

Like i have read on some other peoples threads on live plants...i've saw a few that i've liked the one i really liked so far and have boughten is the amazon sword plant can anyone tell me how easy of a plant that is to take care of..? also what are some other easy plants..i'm planting my entire 55 to make a community for my betta once hes feelin better..Thanks again guys Colten
ColtenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:42 PM   #2 
Hadouken441

Get some root tabs. RootMedic.com is the only place I but ferts. Swords dont really need light but lots and lots of Iron through the roots. You can get Java Moss on driftwood or hairnet them around rocks. You can get a really nice look. Vals are great background plants too. All of these are easy plants.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #3 
ColtenB

how would i be able to keep iron in the water..? wouldnt it hurt me betta?i do likes the look of the Java fern and the dwarf anubias...as for the moss anyplace i've read it multiplies really quick and will cover the bottom of the tank....Also were would i get real drift wood?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #4 
Hadouken441

I got some really good Nano branch wood from Bobstropicalplants.com You can get that really good branch style that pros use. and Iron wont hurt the fish. Trust me Ive been doing it for like 6 months
Old 11-01-2010, 11:47 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sword plants are pretty easy to care for, when you plant them make sure the crown is above the substrate a tiny bit-when I plant rosette type plants such as swords, vals, sags, I bury the roots and then give a little tug upwards so that the crown of the plants is just above the substrate-planting them too deep can cause the crown to rot.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #6 
ColtenB

how would i put iron in the water so i can keep my plant healthy? and whats the crown look like i have never done live plants before?Thank your guys So much for you help your awsome
Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

The crown is the part just above the root ball-the leaf base area-as long as most of the roots get planted it should be fine-IME-planting them too shallow is better than too deep-

Most of the root tabs have iron in them and when you bury the root tab in the substrate at the base of the plant-the plant will use it from that location
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #8 
ColtenB

i bought mine as a plant from meijers...it was the greenest one..?and i'll have to go make sure its not overly buried
Old 11-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #9 
Hadouken441

If you want a great place to get introduced into plants check out plantedtank.net.

Check out the Swap n Shop. Sometimes people give away tons of plants. all you pay is shipping
Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #10 
ColtenB

Hey thanks guys you are all alot of help means alot!