Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #1 
Panthera

New 5.5 Gallon tank!

Hey everyone, well this morning I finally bought Adamu the things he needed! I went to Petsmart and was quite surprised at everything they had. I got him a nice 5.5 gallon glass Aquarium, a 25 watt heater, a thermometer, fake plants (Not to rough for his fins), a tree stump that he can hide in, and some black and blue gravel.

They didn't have any good lights for him, and Beta's don't really need filters right? Okay so I think I have everything, but could somebody please help me out and explain how I go about transferring him and preparing everything in the tank? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 
Adastra

Congrats on your new purchases! Hopefully you will show us some pictures of your new setup sometime.

To start with, you need to rinse everything out very well in hot tap water, especially the gravel. It may be better to rinse the gravel in a bucket outside with a hose since you definitely want to avoid getting any down the drain--that's about the fastest way to ruin a garbage disposal. Just put it in the bucket and give it a good stir while it overflows--once the water runs out of the bucket clear without cloudiness, it's ready to go.

Next, put in the gravel and other decorations and fill the tank with water that is the same temperature as the water your betta is currently in. It may be easiest to keep a sample of the betta's water near the sink and dip your hand back and forth from the sample to the faucet until they both feel the same, and then fill up the tank. Be aware that a full 5 gallon tank is quite heavy--about 65 lbs or so, especially since it's glass instead of acrylic and it's got a bunch of gravel in it. :) You might want to fill it halfway, move it to a stand and then use a bucket to fill up the rest. Add dechlorinator and give the water a good stir. Make sure the temperature on the heater is adjusted to be as close to the current temperature as possible. Then just acclimate your fish like you would after any large water change. Every couple of hours, adjust the temperature dial on the heater up a degree until it's around 78 degrees.

Some things to keep in mind; since you do not have a filter, you will need to do once weekly 100% changes in a tank this size. I highly recommend researching the nitrogen cycle and purchasing a small filter--it will make your life so much easier when it's finished. Sponge filters are very simple and work with an air pump--they are ideal for bettas because they are very low flow and they're very cheap. Only about $4 for the filter and $6 for the air pump.

Also, you should very very thoroughly check the stump ornament for sharp areas inside of it and make sure that every hole in the ornament is big enough for the fish to swim through safely. Many fish have been seriously injured or killed in gnarled ornaments--so check it over thoroughly. You can file down sharp areas and stuff holes, but if it's got a lot of issues with it, you should return it for something simpler. Better safe than sorry.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 
Panthera

Thanks! I have it filled up with everything in it, and i'm letting the heater adjust to the water before plugging it in. But I don't think there's a way to have the heater on the rim, while still having the top of my aquarium on. I wish there was though, because I have cats and even though this is on top of a bookcase and up high, there's still a chance that they might make it up there.

Is there a way to have both the heater and the top of the tank on at the same time? Also I bought new food for him called Betta Bites, they're micro-pellets. Are these good food for him? I couldn't really find much else. Also should I add Adamu in the tank before or after I plug the heater in?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #4 
Jupiter

I think Adastra covered everything. Be sure to show us pictures of his new home!

I second the filter. Your betta doesn't need it, but it's very convinient for both of you if you do buy one. I had an unfiltered 5 gallon myself and I would do 30% and 100% weekly water changes on them. But if you're willing to do the water changes, it won't be a problem.

There aren't any little holes or gaps that you can snake the cord of the heater through? You could always just have the top sit over the heater. it looks awkward, but aquarium lids help retain the heat inside the tank better.

Heaters are usually slow when it comes to raising the heat of the tank, so you can add him before or after, doesn't make a difference. Just allow him to acclimate for a while if there's a big difference between the temperature of the water he's in now and the water of the new tank.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #5 
wystearya

What kind of heater do you have? Mine just has a power cord that comes over the rim. If this is the case it should be ok to sit the tank lid right on the heater cord. It shouldn't be so heavy that it damages the cord. And the cord shouldn't be so thick as to cause a problem with the lid.

I also use the Betta Bites, they seem to be a good food. It was one of many suggested to me by another member on this site. Just pre-soak the pellets in a bit of tank water before you feed them to your fish. The dry pellets can cause bloat.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The lid doesn't have cut-outs on the top? also, what kind of heater do you have some can be put all the way in the tank-others can not...post a pic of your hood and heater- I am sure someone can ID and give you a better idea how to get it set up.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #7 
Panthera

Okay here are some pics of the tank/heater/lid/Adamu. The temperature is at about 76 degrees right now, it needs to hit about 80-82 right? Also do I need to switch the heater on and off whenever it hits the right temperature, or does it stay on? Sorry im a bit slow right now, but all of this is kinda of confusing xD Anyway, pics!

P.S- Do any of you guys think Adamu is still a baby? He looks quite small compared to some other Betta's i've seen. Also are those Betta micro-pellets okay for him, he gobbled 2 of them up :D
Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Hm, I've never seen that heater before... But heaters raise the temperature and then turn off themsleves when the reach the right temperature, so you don't need to turn it off. It will maintain it by itself.

76 is fine for a betta, but 78-80 is the ideal temperature.

Though I can't help but think that you selected a tank for reptiles/small animals going by that lid...
Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #9 
Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
Hm, I've never seen that heater before... But heaters raise the temperature and then turn off themsleves when the reach the right temperature, so you don't need to turn it off. It will maintain it by itself.

76 is fine for a betta, but 78-80 is the ideal temperature.

Though I can't help but think that you selected a tank for reptiles/small animals going by that lid...
The lid might be, but the tank said Fish Aquarium on it :/ The lid was sold separately so I just assumed it was for the Aquarium. I asked the manager where lids were because I didn't see any, and he showed me these. Also The name of it I think is Elite Radiant, a 6" Aquarium Heater thats 25 watts. It says the following, which confused me slightly.

-Turn temperature control knob until pilot light is on (did that)
- Monitor temperature closely with the aid of an aquarium thermometer until desired temperature is reached.
- When desired temperature is reached, turn temperature control knob counterclockwise until the Pilot Light is off. Verify temperature on a regular basis to ensure that the temperature is maintained.
- For higher temperature, turn temperature control knob clockwise until pilot light illuminates. For a lower temperature, simply turn control knob counterclockwise in small increments and moniter with an aquarium thermometer.

I think a got one of the cheapest ones xD
Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Hmmm...okay...well, like I said, I've never seen that heater before, so I can't really give you any advice on it. Sorry. It's odd that it should have you constantly moniter and manually control the temperature yourself, since it should be the heater's job to do that and it could lead to temeprature fluctuations...