Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #1 
Panthera

Adamu- My first Betta :D

Hi everyone! Well a few hours ago I was browsing a pet store, and a certain species of fish caught my eye ;) I wanted a Betta a few months ago, but I have 2 cats and my mom said it wasn't that great of an idea. But I'm 17 now, and have a job, so she said I could get one.

I got a Royal Blue, halfmoon Betta named Adamu, who is a male and VERY feisty and energetic. I bought just the basic kit, thinking that would be fine for him, until I read online that Bettas need at least a 2 GL. tank. Well he's in a 1/2 one now, so is that fine until I buy a new one in like 2 weeks?

Also I didn't realize I needed a heater, should I get one as soon as possible or can it wait a few days? Also I heard plastic plants weren't that good for their fins, is it true? Any tips you can give me would be appreciated! I want to take great care of Adamu, and make him as happy and as comfortable as possible. Also how can I tell how old he is? xD
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #2 
SmokeNLark

He should be fine until you can get him a bigger tank. As far as the heater, I wouldn't put one in a half gallon. You can't safely heat anything under 2 gallons. I would get the heater and bigger tank at the same time. If the room he's in is fairly warm, he should be ok until then. Also, make sure to get a thermometer to monitor the temperature. They're like $2.

Plastic plants are ok as long as they don't rip his fins. If you take some pantyhose and run it along the plant (or any decoration for that matter) and it snags, it will rip his fins. I have plastic plants and haven't had any problems with ones that don't snag pantyhose.

Just make sure that while he is still in his half gallon, you change the water every day or every other day. The ammonia builds up quick. And always use water conditioner, acclimate him to the water and don't over feed.

Good luck with your new betta. :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM   #3 
Panthera

Thanks! How do I exactly change the water? Do I keep him in it while I do it? Also he lays on the bottom of the tank sometimes, what does that mean? I added some warm water to the tank because it felt a bit cold, I hope that was okay.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How exciting......post a pic......and welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

He should be fine in the half gallon until you get him his new 2g and heater-I would make at least 100% water changes every other day to every third day...make sure and use a good dechlorinator with any new water added and try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees from new and old water with water changes so not to cause temp related issues........

What kind of food are you planning to feed? be careful with any of the freeze dried food-they are great for treats but can cause bloat issues when fed daily....remember their stomach is about the size of their eye and these guys love to wag their tail and beg for food...resist temptation......

Congrats....can't wait to see pic of him and pic of your new set-up when you get it all set up......

Usually the Betta in chain pet shop are 5 months to 1 year in age....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 
peaches3221

welcome to the forum! yes, he will be fine in the 1/2 gallon tank for a few weeks. the main reason you need a larger tank is because small tanks need to be cleaned more often than most people have time for. so if you do a water change twice per week he will be fine. do you have water conditioner? if not, you will need to get that to use during changes. a 2 gallon tank can be really expensive, and this is what I would reccomend: http://www.target.com/Anchor-Hocking...n&frombrowse=0 you can buy them from target and walmart. I keep Lonnie in one, and as long as you do weekly water changes, it's fine! he seems very happy! another website, bettatalk, is run by an experienced breeder, and here's what she says about housing bettas: Second best betta set-up. Here we have a large jar, one gallon or more, housing ONE (yes, as in "less than two") betta (male or female). The jar can have some gravel and a live plant, for as long as you rinse and clean gravel and trim plant regularly. Plants that are rotting will pollute the water instead of cleaning it. Gravel where uneaten food accumulates can be a wonderful bacteria hatchery!! So there you go. Clean clean clean. This set-up does not necessitate a filter, but you will need to make a full water change weekly. A MUS...Also remember that BETTAS CAN JUMP...and so always keep a cover on your jar or tanks. Especially jars. Being a smaller environment, bettas are likely to want to bail." you do not need a heater as long as the temp stays at about 75 degrees. unfortunately you cannot age a fully grown betta.
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #6 
Adastra

If you think it will take you awhile to get a new tank and you don't want to constantly change his water, another option you should consider is using a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin temporarily until you can afford the tank you really want. If you want to save up for a real 3-5gal tank kit with a filter (which is what most people end up doing once they get tired of changing water constantly), keeping him in a bin is a great temporary solution--these bins are super easy to clean, safe to use with a heater, and they're extremely cheap--only about $3 for a 4gal. container. For that price you can throw it out when you're done if you want, although I keep plenty of these around for sterilizing equipment, quarantine, hospital tanks, holding water for water changes, etc. They are very useful.

The cheapest items generally are not the ones you want to buy, unfortunately, as far as fish supplies go. If you look at these items from an investment standpoint, though, it only makes sense to buy quality items, since your fish will potentially be with you for the next 3-5 or even 7 years with proper care. Cheap heater pads, mini-heaters, preset heaters and other non-adjustable heaters will often not heat the water enough or overheat it. Spending just a couple dollars more on a 25 watt adjustable heater will give you more security, stability, and control.

Seachem Prime water conditioner is just a little bit more expensive than similar brands, but it has a concentrated formula, so you get more product for your money and the bottle will last way longer than other products, so it's worth it in the long term to use Prime over other conditioners.

Try to do a little research before you get your products, taking a minute to look up a review or check out the pricing on similar products will end up saving you time and money. I recommend doing as much shopping online as possible--retail stores will mark up the prices on all their items to cover all the expenses related to keeping up tons of big fancy retail stores. Online stores don't have all that overhead, and they pass the savings on to you. The more items you buy per order, the more money you save over shipping, so if you buy just a couple items you've more than made up for shipping costs.

I do all my shopping here: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/ you don't even need a credit card.
If you're in Canada, try here: http://www.bigalsonline.com/

Here is a thread that explains the basics of changing the water: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Last edited by Adastra; 11-02-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Thanks! How do I exactly change the water? Do I keep him in it while I do it? Also he lays on the bottom of the tank sometimes, what does that mean? I added some warm water to the tank because it felt a bit cold, I hope that was okay.
Unless you have well water make sure to use dechlorinator or the treatment products from the city water supply can make him sick or kill him depending on the levels

I would not add warm water-get a thermometer and check the temp and try and keep it at 76F at the least.

To change the water-put him in the container you got him in or any small clean container with some of the tank water-rinse the half gallon with warm water and re-fill with like temp water that he is in-if you can- float the holding container in the half gallon and add small amount of the half gallon water to the holding container for 10 min.- then net him and add back to the half gallon-top off half gallon as needed with dechlorinated like temp water-cover the half gallon...these guys can jump.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #8 
Panthera

Here are some pics, not the best quality but I think you can see him ;) I'm gonna go tomorrow and buy some stuff, I think I'll get a thermometer, some better food, a net and some plants and other stuff for him to play with. I heard they like caves?

EDIT: sorry they're not that good, but he's a blue-purple color with light purple fins. He's shy right now lol. How's my tank look? Boring, I know.

Last edited by Panthera; 11-02-2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #9 
Jupiter

He's very pretty! Welcome to the forum.

Betta like caves or other types of hiding places to make them feel more secure.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:49 PM   #10 
Panthera

I'm a little worried now, (New Parent), he's been staying at the bottom of the tank for awhile now and isn't really swimming. I don't know what the temperature is because I don't have a thermometer, but it can't be that cold. Also I fed him some food with freeze dried blood worms, is that okay for them?