Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #1 
ColtenB

Exclamation Possible Chilodonella Case HELP

i was reading something on here about Chilodonella on here so i looked it up and my fish have all the symtoms HELP..how do i get rid of this! i'm goin to the store tommrow to get whatever i need i can't right now because it's midnight
ColtenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #2 
Adastra

Is there any way you could post a picture or describe the fish? Filling this out would help as well: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Sometimes people jump on things that vaguely describe what their fish is going through just because they're desperate to put a name to what is wrong, but it is important not to jump the gun. Chilodonella is actually pretty rare compared to other external parasites like ich and velvet, I've never actually seen a case of it myself on a betta either personally or confirmed on a betta forum--and I've seen my share.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #3 
ColtenB

Housing
What size is your tank?55gal
What temperature is your tank?80
Does your tank have a filter?yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?yes
Is your tank heated?yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?1 goldfish going to be gone to a new home soon.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?betta pellets and flake food
How often do you feed your betta fish?once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?have only had him for about a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?i will do half when needed
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?i add stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?bubble like stuff on his body
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?not as active and hides from other fish
When did you start noticing the symptoms?5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?yea with parisite clear and ich clear
Does your fish have any history of being ill?n/a
How old is your fish (approximately)?n/a

and no i can't post pics because our computer wont except usb's ect ect
Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #4 
Adastra

Oh my, a goldfish? Is there any way you can move the betta to another container and lower the temperature of the 55G for the goldfish's sake? Goldfish are coldwater animals, so it is very taxing upon them to have to deal with such warm temperatures.. It is not something they should be subjected to. If the betta is currently ill anyway, it would be best to move him to a temporary container for both of them, since if it does happen to be chilodonella, the goldfish will catch it as well.

If you're currently treating the fish with ich clear by Jungle, that's about the best you can do for him now. Malachite green is generally the most effective ingredient for treating parasites like chilodonella, if that is what the fish is afflicted with.

I don't know that I would characterize chilodonella as bubble-like.. can you describe what the patches look like in as much detail as you can muster? Be very specific about the texture.

Is the goldfish a feeder fish? If so, god knows what kind of weird nasties that thing carried into your tank.. feeders are like little diseases with fins.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:40 AM   #5 
ColtenB

To be honest i'm suprised my tanks running so high usually it runs about 70...and the Gold fish already has whatever it is to also its a fan tail there was 2 but one died the black one had white patches on its tail when i got him but they went away and the orange one has it seems like extra slime coat...my betta the bubbles seem like what youd see in a glass of warm water after its sat around..his fins are more clamped..it looks like salt got sprinkled on him but i hit my tank for ich like a day or two ago so i would think it should have been gone by now...
Old 11-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #6 
Adastra

Ich doesn't go away that quickly, unfortunately. In order to treat ich effectively, you need to understand its life cycle--here is a decent article that explains it: http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=2421 --if you stopped treating for ich after a day or two, then it can easily re-infest the fish.

Is there any way you can find another tank for the betta? If you're treating him for ich, you'll want the temperature up around 84, which is waaay too hot for the poor goldfish, and 70 is too cold for the betta. This is generally why people do not put the two together--their comfort zones are too different.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #7 
ColtenB

i haven't stopped treating it i have some protozoan parsite ich stuff that ive been dumping in there..and it still dont look like hes got even a little bit better as for the goldfish i have a 10 gallon i can put him in but it just sits with water in it all thats in it are snails un filtered and what not..i can't change the temp my heater is way to small for my tank i'm going to be buying one thats the right size in a few days when i get paid..
Old 11-03-2010, 01:05 AM   #8 
Adastra

Perhaps you could clean the 10 gallon really well and put the betta in that with your small heater and just do water changes until he is better? You could also purchase a rubbermaid/sterilite plastic storage bin for this purpose--they make excellent hospital/quarantine tanks, they're safe to heat, and a 4 gallon bin is only $3 at walmart or target--you can't beat that. The goldfish would be much better in the 55 and the heater won't be an issue since it is a cold water fish anyway.

As for the ich, just keep treating according to the packaging--it's not something that goes away overnight. :)
Old 11-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #9 
ColtenB

thanks for your help...so it sounds like ich to you then?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #10 
Adastra

Yeah, I think this is ich. Chilodonella is really uncommon, like I said, I've never heard of a confirmed case in a betta. It spreads really, really fast--I think if it were the case your fish would act a lot more ill and your goldfish would also be showing symptoms. Hopefully you'll figure out the housing thing soon. Good luck, it's 2AM, so I'm going to bed, lol. :)