Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #1 
ec0planet

Arrow My Betta Just Died...

My Betta died today, and before I get another one I want to make sure what killed this one if possible. I have had him for months now. I keep him in a 2.5 tank, doing the weekly water changes & testing the water. I read up before getting him to make sure I was prepared. Ok so, he was fine yesterday but when I got home and fed him last night he wouldn't eat and would not go down to the bottom of his aquarium. He would stay in the middle to the top. I watched him carefully because I knew something was wrong when he wouldn't eat. He is hungry 24/7. So, he would swim down a bit then come back up to the top. His bright colors were very dull, and he wouldn't open his fins, they just hung on him limply. He would go on his side and lay at the top of the water for awhile then right himself again, swim around and repeat. this went on for a couple hours. When I came back into the room he was at the bottom of the aqaurim face up vertical. He did not have any markings or fungus on him, and he didn't really look that bloated to me. The only knew thing I added different the past few days was gettting a submersible water heater, which I would turn off during the day and then turn on at night when temps dropped. It was on and working fine when this was occuring. Does anyone know what this sounds like? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
ec0planet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #2 
TaylorW

I am so sorry about your fish... :( :( :( But I am glad that you're trying to figure out what went wrong, that's very responsible of you...

He could have had an illness, but I know from a basic care stand point that weekly water changes are not enough. I have a 2.5 gallon tank, and I do 100% water changes once every 2-3 days...

Also turning the heater on and off could have given him temperature shock or something. The water needs to stay close to a constant temperature, so the water warming up and cooling down could have made him sick... I just leave my heater on all the time.

I am so sorry for your loss, it's probably very difficult for you right now... Good luck, and I hope you figure out what happened to your little guy!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss....lets see if we can't figure out what happened...need some more information first...

In the 2.5gal tank-water temp, additives used, filter, live plants, how much and how often on the water changes, what kind of food and how much fed, how long had you had him and had he ever been sick and if so, what kind or treatment/medications used
What are the water test numbers for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #4 
ec0planet

Hikari Betta Bio-Gold

Thanks for everyone's condolences. water temp was around 78 degrees, I always used Aqueon BettaBowl Plus, No filter(the tank came with one but it would blow so many bubbles it would cover the whole surface of the tank so I took it out), fake plants, 50% water change 1-2 times weekly, Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, 2 in the mornings and 1 at night (daily), and 1 time weekly would substitute the 2 morning pellets with a freeze dried blood worm soaked in water first. I had him for about 4 months now. No he has never been sick. Up until yesterday when I got home, he was always very curious, active, responsive, with a very healthy appetite. I am not sure about the numbers, as I live right around the corner from a petco and they give free water tests, so I would always just pop in there a couple times a week to get it tested. They always told me it was right where it should be, and I didn't need to do anything to it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:46 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

IMO-it was most likely due to poor water quality-without filtration a 2.5gal tank without live plants would need at least 1-100% weekly water change with 1-50% between to maintain water quality

With a water temp that is not stable-from turning the heater on and off can cause stress-high stress can cause lowered immune response and making the fish more apt to effect of poor water quality as evident by swim problems, poor appetite, lethargic, dull color

After 4 month of poor water quality, unstable water temp-stress-compromised immune response-death.....most likely cause.....this is only a guess

Or
water contamination from an outside source

When you get your water tested-ask for the numbers-the pet shop "fine" may not be "fine" also find out what they are using as testing products-liquid reagent or strips....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Nothing to add to what you have been told - just wanted to tell you how sorry I am!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:06 PM   #7 
DaEvangelist

Unhappy

We're all with you... It's a really sad time.

Do you have kits to test the water quality? It would be good to know what the water quality was when your betta passed.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #8 
ec0planet

Thank you for the information. I did save some of the water to be tested. So I will be able to confirm if it was water quality or not. The pet store is using strips. Which live plant would you suggest I get? Don't they need UVB lighting to stay alive(the plants not the fish)?

Last edited by ec0planet; 11-03-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #9 
TaylorW

Java ferns and Marimo balls are pretty hardy! I picked some up recently, I have no special lighting, and they seem to be doing fine! :) I keep a lamp by the tank, and open up the window to let some sunlight in.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #10 
TaylorW

But don't let the plants substitute for water changes though, they're just a safeguard in case something happens and you're accidentally late on cleaning your tank! Good luck! :)