Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #21 
ColtenB

thanks i read somewhere that ich stays in a tank for 48hrs without fish in there and then it will die..can ich use plants and snails as a host?
ColtenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #22 
Colibri

Hi!

I'm glad your fish is doing better. The thing with ich, is that you must wait to kill the parasite one it's off of the fish. That's when medicines like malachite green will work. They do nothing to the parasite when it's attached to the fish. Remember, you must treat your fish's Ich for 1 week, not 2 or 3 days like many labels say... you must treat the entire life-cycle or do frequent water changes. If you don't treat it, it will look for a new host and stick on your fish again.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #23 
ColtenB

Well i have my fish in a smaller cup at this moment for hospital care you might say..hes going good and thank you..my question was about my 55 were my betta came out of all i have in there now is an amazon sword and some really tiny snails and i was wondering if ich could stay attached on to any of them its been probly 2 or 3 days since theres been a fish in the tank.i was just wondering if the ich would be staved out by now?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #24 
Colibri

If your fish got Ich when in the 55 gal... then you can be sure that Ich will be in that tank, and you'll have to treat it entirely. Think of Ich as a fish-cold. If one of your fish living in a community tank had it, its really possible another one might catch it as well. The snails, as far as I know, don't get Ich. It only affects fish. But, the medicines you might be using to treat the tank will affect them (the snails), so you should put them in a QT place. You really should wait a week before introducing your fish back to his tank, in 2 or 3 days nothing happens, as I said before, to kill the entire cycle of Ich you must treat and wait 1 week.

Last edited by Colibri; 11-05-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #25 
ColtenB

Ok thank you i was really wondering about that gotta new heater that fits my tanks now so its gonna be at about 83 degrees so hopefully it will be gone...