Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #1 
crowntail lover

Exclamation What horror! Oh how I hate Wal-Mart!

So.. I visited my local Wal-Mart today to pick up some supplies and I was horrified with what I found in the pet section!!!!! The betta self was horrendous! I find a male betta and a female betta in the same bowl with about a inch of water in it..The females fins werent that bad..but she had taken some bullying!!!!! Oh no..Thats not all! I then find two male crowntails in the same bowl....Their fins torn to shreads!!!!! They didnt look alive! I was so angry! So I took it upon myself to seperate them into tub-aware bowls that I was buying already....I wanted to take those crowntails home so badly...But they were too far gone...Their fins werent even present on their bodies..But I did take home the male betta that was in with the female... and I have contacted the General Manger about the issue..and I have a good feeling that someone will be getting fired soon..And hopefully the care of the bettas will improve soon!
---
The new guy..I have housed him in a two gallon vace with a live plant with the temp set at 78degrees...and I have treated his water with aqua salt and ICH away..But his fins arent in too bad of shape at all..and I probably will only continue the treatment for the next day or so.
He is eating normally and is swimming around flarring at Cornelias with no problem! haha!
I really dont know what I want to name him yet though.. He is a VT. And he has amazing coloring! A turquios, velvet colored body with a black head..and his fins have a bright turquios color as well with a little mint green..he also has black spots on his fins... Any ideas?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #2 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntail lover View Post
So.. I visited my local Wal-Mart today to pick up some supplies and I was horrified with what I found in the pet section!!!!! The betta self was horrendous! Oh no..Thats not all! I then find two male crowntails in the same bowl....Their fins torn to shreads!!!!!
---

AAAAAAARRRRRGGGHH, not again

I ran into the exact same thing at Wallyworld not long ago, and was I ever (expletive deleted) . Time to go to war with Walmart I guess.....
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:01 PM   #3 
Canuck Fins

Yikes! That is sad.

(Hmmm, I wonder if Wally World is getting rid of their fish though. At least here in Canada anyway. The old stores have tanks for sale and no fish while the new Supercentre that opened last spring has tanks for sale, but no tanks to put fish in for sale. Here, they only sell a very few fish supplies.)
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #4 
charlindabob

Quote:
So.. I visited my local Wal-Mart today to pick up some supplies and I was horrified with what I found in the pet section!!!!! The betta self was horrendous! I find a male betta and a female betta in the same bowl with about a inch of water in it..The females fins werent that bad..but she had taken some bullying!!!!! Oh no..Thats not all! I then find two male crowntails in the same bowl....Their fins torn to shreads!!!!! They didnt look alive! I was so angry! So I took it upon myself to seperate them into tub-aware bowls that I was buying already....I wanted to take those crowntails home so badly...But they were too far gone...Their fins werent even present on their bodies..But I did take home the male betta that was in with the female... and I have contacted the General Manger about the issue..and I have a good feeling that someone will be getting fired soon..And hopefully the care of the bettas will improve soon!
---
The new guy..I have housed him in a two gallon vace with a live plant with the temp set at 78degrees...and I have treated his water with aqua salt and ICH away..But his fins arent in too bad of shape at all..and I probably will only continue the treatment for the next day or so.
He is eating normally and is swimming around flarring at Cornelias with no problem! haha!
I really dont know what I want to name him yet though.. He is a VT. And he has amazing coloring! A turquios, velvet colored body with a black head..and his fins have a bright turquios color as well with a little mint green..he also has black spots on his fins... Any ideas?
I will hazard a guess and say that the Bettas were tampered with by the customers. I do not believe that the supplier would knowingly ship two Bettas to a container, whether it be two males or a male and female. And as to an inch of water, again, I believe it was customer tampering. A lot of us can thank Wal-Mart for getting us the Betta that we have as many of us have no other resource other than to purchase one on-line. Two things might make shopping for Bettas at Wal-Mart a better experience. One, more knowledge of the salesperson and two, maybe the Bettas should be behind a locked glass cabinet for their own protection. I have two great Bettas, and they both came from Wal-Mart.
charlindabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #5 
kfish

My betta is from a non-super Wal-Mart checkout line. My mom picked him up for me as a surprise. His coloring is gorgeous, but he was so torn up. My poor little guy! His fins are growing back nicely now, but he had about 1/3 of an inch of fin left and he looks like he has battle scars on his body if you look at his scales against the grain.

Seems like someone threw him in with another fish as well. Wish SOMEONE at stores deciding to sell fish cared and knew what they were doing! It's not like they don't lose money when the fish die.

kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:32 AM   #6 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I think someone just needs to be in the pet center, and not leave. Everytime I am in the pet center for supplies, no one is to be found anywhere near there. I don't even understand why the sell fish, but if they are going to shouldnt someone be avaliable to get fish out for you, and then someone would always be back there. verrry frustrating.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #7 
crowntail lover

The thing is.. I know the person who was assigned the job of taking care of the pet section..And I also know that they find Betta Fighting very hilarious! Therefore. I dont believe a customer would take the time to sit there and change around the Bettas and watch them fight..I think it was the worker who did this..
Old 10-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #8 
peaches3221

I CAN'T BELEIVE THE NERVE OF SOME PEOPLE!!! ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

I know!! Its ridiculous!
Old 10-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #10 
Alex09

Quote:
The thing is.. I know the person who was assigned the job of taking care of the pet section..And I also know that they find Betta Fighting very hilarious! Therefore. I dont believe a customer would take the time to sit there and change around the Bettas and watch them fight..I think it was the worker who did this..
You would be surprised. Immature people have nothing better to do at walmart I guess.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote