Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 AM   #1 
bfuddy

100% water changes help?

I have a 1 gallon filtered tank and do 70% water changes every other or every 2 days

However, I've read on different betta sites that you should do 100% water changes while on other sites that you should NEVER do 100% water changes.

So my first question is this

Should you or should you not do 100% water changes?

And my second question is

How can you avoid stressing your betta out when you take him out for 100% water changes? I don't have a net or anything and so when I try to take him out he gets really really stressed and I don't think its good for his health.
bfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #2 
puppyrjjkm

Well first you should always use a net as it is easier on the fish. Although some people have trained they're bettas to swim in the cup haha. A net is just $2-3 at walmart or your petstore so having one would be very good. I use to do 100% water changes on a 5 gallon, but they are not recommended as it gets rid of beneficial bacteria in the rocks and what not. Other people can expand better on this :) I would invest in a larger tank so you're fish will be happier, and less water changes for you. If you can't afford it, Christmas is coming up it would be a good gift idea. Good luck with your betta!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

You should never do a 100% water change on a filtered tank. What you've got going is a good system :)

I change 100% of the water in my gallon jars once a week, but they're not filtered or have rocks or plants so I simply pour them through a net and then fill the jar with clean water and back in they go :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:18 AM   #4 
lilbloofish

If you are going to use a net, use a brine shrimp net. They are softer or something, i used a different net before and some of my betta's scales went bye bye.
lilbloofish is offline   Reply With Quote