Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #1 
Maryrox247

Thumbs down Walmart: save money, kill fish.

Walmart, yes we all know what this is going to be about. We have all seen it before. Piles of corpses on the bottoms of tanks, bettas that have fallen asleep forever then rotting in the jail cells they call cups... sick. I for one feel that since the majority of walmarts ( i said majority NOT all) are careless about the fish department despite that being the only part of the store that really needs to be taken care of i mean we are talking about LIVING CREATURES people not your ordinary box of Cheerios or laundry detergent! It's not a fish section it's a MORGUE! A graveyard for the fish that had suffered so much from their abuse and now lie motionless for eternity. That being said Walmart's motto : "Save money. Live better." is really ironic because so many deaths occur there each day. What, only humans deserve to live well? Its awful, just awful. And I feel we need to do something about it... something BIG. Any ideas? And I don't mean "Oh, we could do this or that..." I mean "We WILL stop this torture and crisis for good!"

(Man i feel so cool right now XD )
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #2 
peaches3221

I agree 100% with everything stated above. I once saw 8 out of 10 bettas dead at one walmart and at another I saw a one eyed goldfish and a goldfish with a big gash in it's side! R.I.P. all fish that have died at walmart
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

Personally I've never had terrible experiences. One guy is semi knowledgeable (he knows his fish but dosent understand that live bacteria are only in filtered tanks and bettas need 100% water changes). Anyway I agree...I've seen terrible stuff online about Walmarts around the country.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #4 
Alexanderismylife

Yeah....We just got a brand new super walmart and they have the most gorgous looking bettas when they first arrive,but by around 5 days later they are all deathly looking and sick....:( R.I.P to all the poor bettas that never got the chance to find a home.
Alexanderismylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #5 
Maryrox247

Thank you for all the replies! Now that we have found the problem we need to solve it! What should we do to stop this?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:34 PM   #6 
MultipleTankTayler

I went to 3 walmarts a few days ago just to look at the bettas..which i never have before, didnt know they had them.

the first 2 were dismal...about as bad from petco & petsmart.

the last one, which I didn't expect..had ALL CLEAN cups, and they all look pretty alert, no dead ones..only maybe 15... the cups were bigger, and they had more water. I think rural areas care more about animals (4-H clubs and stuff like that) & that might be why. I went there 3x & they are always clean.
MultipleTankTayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #7 
Staciekarp

Hrnn.. All the Wal-marts around where I live don't sell live fish anymore (including the super centres); not sure how that happened though.

It seems strange that the poor-kept-fish-selling-Wal marts are still allowed to sell them.. do they not get evaluations for this sort of thing? :/ They should!
Staciekarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #8 
Maryrox247

Yes, but what should we do to stop this torture???
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #9 
Staciekarp

Brainstorming!

Start contacting animal rights and other groups
Get petitions going in your cities against selling the live fish
If we want this to stop for good we'll need to not only contact out local stores but the head offices of Wal-Mart; the head office in America is in Bentonville, Arkansas and the Canadian head office is in Mississauga, Ontario

I gotta go for now but I'll try to think of more ideas!
Staciekarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #10 
metalbetta

The two Wal-Marts in my town that sell fish actually take great care of their stock for the most part. Just sayin'. It's all about who's in charge of the department.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote