Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #1 
bfuddy

1 Gallon Tank Filter?

Hey guys, this is my first post on these forums but I've been lurking around this site as a anon guest for quite a while lolol.

Anyhow, this is the first time I've ever owned a betta fish and I've decided to commit myself fully to ensure the health and well being of my fish. I have, however owned other fish in the past and I've done a considerable amount of reading about betta fish (so I know most of the info that there is to know)

Ive got a male dark blue veil tail betta (lol i know, typical, but it's my first one) in a 1 Gallon Tank. I'm going to upgrade to a 5 gallon by December but until then the betta fish is in the 1 Gallon.

It has a cave, a plastic plant, and a filter. I give 70% water changes every other day or every 2 days.
The filter is specifically this one: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355

It's a great filter and it sucks up all the junk and fish waste, however it creates quite a current within the tank. I notice my fish struggling to swim from bottom to top because of the current caused by the filter.

So I was wondering, would it be alright to just leave it on sometimes (during the night when the fish isn't moving) and then turn it off during the day? Would the filter still do a adequate job?

Thanks for the help :)
bfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:58 PM   #2 
TaylorW

If I were you, I would ditch the filter in the 1 gallon and just do 100% water changes every 2 days. A 1 gallon is too small to get the nitrogen cycle going in it anyways, so the filter isn't truly doing it's job. I think the smallest tank you can get a cycle going in is a 2.5 or 3 gallon, but please don't take my word on that!

Besides, if you're already changing that much of the water, you might as well change it all! :) Welcome to the forums by the way! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #3 
Adastra

Agreed, ditch the filter. It's not doing you any good at all and it's just stressing your betta out. If you're interested in having a cycled filtered tank in the future, you should upgrade to a tank that is at least 3 gallons in size--the bigger the the better, and research the nitrogen cycle. Until that point, you need to be doing 100% changes every other day in a tank that small.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote