Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 10:40 PM   #1 
britnyjackson

Constipated Betta please help!

My betta is so constipated and has been for about 2 weeks. I've been giving him about 2 days inbetween feeding, but he's still not going. I've tried peas, but he wont eat them. What should I do?? He's just getting worse! Please help!
britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems...can you post a pic....are his scales sticking up?

How big is the tank, how much and how often are the water changes and when was the last one, any filtration or live plants, any additives used, if so-what kind and how much, water temp-how long have you had him and has he ever been sick and if so, what kind of treatment/medication used if any?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #3 
britnyjackson

Ok so this is Matador... Super constipated as you can see...

He doesn't have any scales sticking out.

He shares a 10 gal with 1 other betta, divided of course. They have several plants to hide in also.

Their water temp is between 78-80 degrees I do about a 15-20% water change every week to every week and a half. When I change the water I use the appropriate dosing for the amount of water removed. I use Aqua Safe by Tetra aqua.

He has never been ill.

They each have one live plant in their side of the tank. It's an anubias nana, the rest are fake.

I've also included a full tank shot of the shared tank

I hope this helps! Lemmie know if you need any more info. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

britnyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Since he won't eat the peas I would QT him and start- Epsom salt 1tsp/gal treatment along with 100% daily water changes, hold food for 3 days-I would do the leave in treatment for the full 10 days
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:12 AM   #5 
DaEvangelist

Have you tried different ways to feed him peas? Have you just let the peas float on the surface like pellets?

I read somewhere that you might try to submerge a small pea piece so he thinks it's prey. Another way to trigger his hunting instinct is supposedly to put the pea piece on the tip of sharp stick and move it around so he chases it.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote