Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #1 
HappyNadia

Uh-Oh...

Hi everyone!
I'm new here and new to fish and Bettas.

I got a male betta about 4 months ago and has thrived beautifully. I had him in a 1.5 gallon tank. I recently changed him to a 10 gallon tank and he's loving it.

I keep hearing I should get a couple of females and throw them in the tank, that they should get along fine, etc. I went to the pet store today and they told me I could do one female in that tank in with the male no problem. I just put her in the tank after a few hours of acclimation.
They seem OK so far, the male kept coming up to her at first (no flaring), but I I didn't realize how much bigger he is than her until I watch them next to each other now. I literally found this forum just now and after reading a few posts on here, I'm a little nervous about what I did (putting them in together), etc.
SO obviously I'm separating them before going to bed tonight, but I still have some questions about some basic care:
1. what are the "salts" I keep reading about? I just have some water conditioner for bettas... plus I have a softening system (water-loop) installed in my house.

Any other suggestions and advise is welcome...
HappyNadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #2 
peaches3221

you need to separate them, they will fight!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 
TaylorW

Males and females cannot be kept together! Usually pet store employees say this so they can get rid of unwanted female bettas. You'll either end up with lots of baby fish, have them fighting constantly/kill each other, or both. The only way you can keep bettas together is in a large group of females in a really big tank! Please seperate your male and female, it's a really bad idea!

These tanks of females are called sororities, so I would look those up on the threads ;)

The salts are aquarium salt, and sometimes epsom salt, used to treat diseases.

Welcome to the forums by the way! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #4 
HappyNadia

Done and done!
I'm so happy I found this forum. I'm sure I'll be up all night reading about sororities.

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #5 
nomoretickets

if you want, you can use a tank divider in your ten gallon so you can house them together. This way they can still have social interaction and you wont have to set up a new tank for her, but also prevents them from killing each other or making babies. Just be sure to leave an inch or two of the divider above water level so they dont jump over. I did this with my neurotic glass surfing female and she is behaving much more normally now (though Hippie seems to be perpetually confused about that odd pinkish object that keeps darting around on the other side of the strange hazy blockage ;p)
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Yeah, as suggested, you can divide the tank into two sections (or three? Sorry, I didn't catch if you bought 1 or 2 females) and that way you don't have to buy a new tank.

Aquarium salt is used mainly for health reasons. You don't need to buy it, but it's handy to have just in case. It works well to promote healing ripped fins. But it's not something you should put in constantly (a lot of people believe this leads to long-term health problems). But it's aquarium salt, not marine salt!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #7 
HappyNadia

I have 1 female. I'm setting up my 1.5 gallon mini tank for her (for now). She's really tiny -no more than 1"-, I may just get the divider over the weekend.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #8 
nomoretickets

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/d...ividers-21866/

this is cheaper and is literally the same thing as the $10+ tank dividers at petsmart. plus you can make the mesh a solid color so they have a harder time seeing each other through it.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote