Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #11 
acloudconnected

I just remembered that OldFishLady recommended that I take my little bloated boys out of the aquarium salt I had them in, and use Epsom salts instead as it works better to help them "go". And I can attest to that! Within the hour my guys were clearing out. I think she may have also suggested that aquarium salts might exacerbate the bloat problem, but I can't be 100% sure on that... I need to re-read her suggestions.
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #12 
TaylorW

Quote:
Originally Posted by acloudconnected View Post
I just remembered that OldFishLady recommended that I take my little bloated boys out of the aquarium salt I had them in, and use Epsom salts instead as it works better to help them "go". And I can attest to that! Within the hour my guys were clearing out. I think she may have also suggested that aquarium salts might exacerbate the bloat problem, but I can't be 100% sure on that... I need to re-read her suggestions.
You're right, Epsom salts are good for bloating, but well... this is such a severe case, it might require some more drastic measures! I honestly think even our betta experts might have some trouble with this one!

I didn't even know that fish could even get to this state and LIVE
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #13 
MrVampire181

Well its eggs throw her in with a male (naw bad idea...he'd run for his life!! :P).

Ok so I reccomend epsom salt baths and NO FOOD AT ALL!!! Fish can go over a month without food so within a few weeks it'll go down. Worst case scenario....tumor.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:30 AM   #14 
Alex09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Well its eggs throw her in with a male (naw bad idea...he'd run for his life!! :P).

Ok so I reccomend epsom salt baths and NO FOOD AT ALL!!! Fish can go over a month without food so within a few weeks it'll go down. Worst case scenario....tumor.
:O

She looks like she needs surgery ASAP!!!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #15 
MissMoneyPenny

W-O-W!! How could someone let her go on like this and not do anything for her. She has to be suffering so much. I wish you the best of luck and I hope that you can find out what is going on or how to help her. I know you will do your best. Please keep us updated! :(
MissMoneyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #16 
Adastra

It's not eggs, it's not constipation, and it isn't dropsy either. I've seen this a few times and posted in an earlier thread about the issue here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=53023

I think you will find it informative. Unfortunately there isn't a cure for a fish that is this advanced. You will just have to watch her for indications that her quality of life has deteriorated to the point that she should be humanely euthanized. If she is having a lot of trouble eating, swimming around, breathing, etc, that time might be really soon. Until then, do what you can to keep her comfortable and make life easier.

Some epsom salt baths may be helpful, but you should expect the bloating to come right back. People (professionals) have tried drawing out the fluid with a syringe--while this did improve the fish's condition temporarily, the bloating just came right back each time. It is probably a consequence of some kind of organ failure.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:02 AM   #17 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Awwe what a pitiful little girl =[
thank god you got her so she could atleast try to be healthy and happy for now.
I hope those people were embarassed to bring her in.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #18 
dipsydoodlenoodle

She's lovely colouration.

Daphnia and de-shelled peas will help her. As will fasting as you are doing.

Epsom salt baths will definitely help.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #19 
Oldfishlady

She does look staged out, however, getting her in Epsom salt 1tsp/gal will not hurt and can help some with the symptoms-I would do a full leave in 10 day treatment along with some 100% daily water changes-hold food for the first 3 days then offer very small amount twice a day every other day during the treatment and see how she responds-since she is swimming fine and acting fine it may be fatty liver secondary to obesity...sadly that is also fatal.......good luck and what a pretty girl she is......keep her comfy and if she ever seems to be suffering do the right thing by her.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #20 
TaylorW

Poor baby... if this is from overfeeding, the previous owner should be ashamed! She's a special little fish, I hope she makes it! Keep us posted and good luck!!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote