Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #1 
zelilaa

Red face Hex?

A couple diff. things to ask about them!
I) Do you have a hex tank? Can you upload a photo of it?
II) Do they sell hexs at Petco, Petsmart, or PetSupermarket that are worth buying? There are no walmarts anywhere close to me that sell fish stuff :/
I'm going to be buying a small sized hex after Christmas. Something from a 2 gal to a 5 gal. Any comments or tips or advice is appreciated!
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #2 
bloo97

I don't own one, but I would assume ur local petstores would supply it. :)
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #3 
Maryrox247

I know for a fact petsmarts do sell hexs. I don't own one though. As for petco im not sure.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #4 
Capricorn

I own two, a 2gal an a 5gal. The 2gal is the petco brand one, I got it on clearance and took out the under gravel filter and just have it unfiltered.. the other I'm sure on the make (picked it up at a junk tent for $5), but I've seen models similar to it at both Walmart and Petco.

I would go with the 5gal, personally. The one I have has a biowheel filter that was easily baffled to lower the flow.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Petco, Petsmart all carry Hex tanks. Reason some hobbyist prefer Hex is due to the small footprint. Easier to place at locations that don't have large open surface area.

Here is a link for Hex tanks, if you looking for ideas on design....

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&e...ed=0CEUQsAQwAg

Last edited by scootshoot; 11-04-2010 at 09:39 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #6 
zelilaa

thanks everyone! what i meant by worth buying is i saw somewhere on this forum, people were talking about a new version of the petco or petsmart 2 gal hex. But that it was a bad tank. anything yall know about that? :3
Old 11-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #7 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

You should watch craigslist for awhile, I see 5 gallon hex's on there all the time.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #8 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelilaa View Post
thanks everyone! what i meant by worth buying is i saw somewhere on this forum, people were talking about a new version of the petco or petsmart 2 gal hex. But that it was a bad tank. anything yall know about that? :3
Naw, the tank itself is fine, just some posters thought 30 dollars was steep. It really depends on your patience. If you sit around and wait for deals off craigslist, ebay, or upcoming holiday sales you will definitely find one cheaper. On the other hand if you absolutely can't wait and you have 30 bucks to kill, go for it! In the end you will be happy either way.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #9 
zelilaa

Arrow giggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Naw, the tank itself is fine, just some posters thought 30 dollars was steep. It really depends on your patience. If you sit around and wait for deals off craigslist, ebay, or upcoming holiday sales you will definitely find one cheaper. On the other hand if you absolutely can't wait and you have 30 bucks to kill, go for it! In the end you will be happy either way.

Yeshh... well I am buying it right after christmas. There should be some sales... plus I am signed up for Petco snail mail and email stuff, so i get coupons a lot. My budget on the tank itself is 20 dollars, excluding tax (aka- if its 19.99 or something, I'm buying it) Then I have another 20 dollar budget on accessories and equipment. I already have gravel and decor (will be transferred from my current 2.5 gal tank), so all i need is a filter and filter accessories like cartridges. All in all, I except to spend around 40 dollars. Which takes a large chunk out of the money I need to save for the 20 gal next October... but my Christmas money should just coat over the 40 dollar expense! Oh dear... I just realized what a bunch of spam this is! You guys certainly don't want to hear about the financial situations!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #10 
scootshoot

For Filters, here is one you may want to keep an eye out for 10 bucks, perfect for your size tank and does not create a lot of water turbulence. Lot of good reviews.

http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...t=OnSiteSearch

Also has a little open area behind the filter sponges, I dropped a couple Fluval Biomax balls in there to allow additional location for good bacteria growth.