Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #1 
Flare

Sudden Bloating :<

I noticed yesterday my Betta had mild bloating like he was full, I thought it was because i fed him a fairly large freeze dried blood worm. I come home and he seems fine, I didn't feed him since today's fasting day. However, I checked on him about 2 hours later and I notice him swimming on his side and having trouble balancing himself and being considerably more bloated, maybe 20% more. I read that it might be swim bladder but how did it happen so suddenly? How is his tummy bloating more? I didn't even feed him once today. Any help would be appreciated :< I'm very worried about my fishy :
Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #2 
effy

hey, if you fill this out and post it then people will be able to help you easier
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:58 AM   #3 
Capricorn

Well, freeze dried foods are notorious for causing bloat in bettas, even when soaked properly. Is that you feed him? If so you should get a high-quality pellet instead.. they also need to be soaked before feeding. Eating freeze dried or pellet foods that are unsoaked would be like us eating uncooked rice, basically.

I would try fasting him for two-three days (don't worry, he'll be fine) to see if the bloat goes down.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote