Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #1 
BettaBoy84

Talking Why are VT's so Unliked?

Can you not get VT's in thailand?

I am confused why not many people like VT's in Western culture? Is it because there is a high number in Western civilization?

I love the VT females as mine look like males and in a large sorority, they are awesome to watch. Not many other females in this category.

Many Males are more attractive and comparable, I can see why more are interested in the variety of others.

However, what is it that creates the lack of VT's?

Thoughts?
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #2 
nochoramet

I'm not sure, probably because there are so many mutt VT's that have been mixed with other tail types... so there isn't really a standard. And I suppose their philosophy is the bigger and frillier the fins are, the better.
Personally, I love my VT. He's got just as pretty colors IMO. And he's got amazing personality!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #3 
Alex09

Im not a big fan of VT's. Not sure why though. Probably because they are so common - I see them everywhere.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

I really like VTs, and they are well LIKED..just not as much by the betta enthusiasts. They are in every pet store and usually 'messy'.. messy fins, messy body shape, etc.

Doesn't make them any worse as pets. I really want to see VTs get more popular with enthusiasts.. I want to see the tail form come back and look 'nicer'.. :) I wish there was something I can do to help, honestly, but it doesn't seem like I could do much. Unless I was breeding to help, which would be years away from now if ever(not likely), and if I did, I would donate my best spawn to others breeding for the nice looking VTs :O but that's not going to happen most likely. It's difficult because at this point honestly it looks like to get VTs back into the breeding world, it'll have to start with the petstore fish. I can't help but enjoy looking at the petstore bettas and comparing their fins to the new standard..I've actually seen a few that got pretty darn close :O
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:29 PM   #5 
bloo97

My favorite are VTs, because they have so much personality. They are kind of like the hairless cats. xD
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #6 
Jupiter

I like all tail types. They're not my favourite (mine are Rosetails), but I still like them nonethless. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #7 
puppyrjjkm

I love my VT's :) Maybe because most petstores don't have the diversity of color or pattern in VT's that are more prominent in CT's or HM's?
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

VTs are not disliked. Breeding them is frowned upon because there are SO MANY in pet stores and they are so over bred that no one even knows where to begin to standardize what a VT should be. Try finding homes for dozens of fry and make ANY money at the same time... who is going to pay more than $3 for a fish that they can get for the same amount at a pet store? Breeding is very expensive and breeding VTs is just asking to lose lots of money.

There have been talks about making a set of standards for VT but again, who is going to put hundreds of dollars into breeding a fish that just isn't popular enough to sell well. Many of the people who breed VT end up giving their fry to pet stores for store credit, that brings up a question of ethics... is it right to breed fish that may end up rotting away on a pet store shelf? Not everyone has a local fish store that takes amazing care of those fish.

As HM and HMPK become more readily available to the general public the VT will become less common and will probably make its way back to popularity. There's a natural cycle with such things.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 AM   #9 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I like VTs. =]
I had just bought a VT over a DT, but he died.. grr pet store..
I think if VTs did have more variety in colors they would be more liked.
I mean, you go into petco/petsmart the VTs are usually all one color, or look the same. then you look at the HM and DT there and they are stunning colors... doesnt help the VTs too much.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #10 
MrVampire181

Like 1f2f said...know one knows where to start. Some VTs have spade shaped tails (my fave), to droopy kinda triangleish shape, to square shaped, to big fluffy droopy tails. Its gonna take year to bring them back. Though HM and HMPK are the big ones now who knows what the future holds.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote