Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #1 
ColtenB

Unhappy Betta on his last fin

I woke up this morning and my Betta was lying on the bottom of my tank..so i scooped him out and put him in a cup hoping he would get betta and hes not eating and hes just kinda floating NOT DEAD yet...i caught the ich to late so i'm gonna do my best to make him get through this "if possible" or make him confy....
ColtenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:07 PM   #2 
TaylorW

I'm not sure if Ich makes fins fall off? He might have something else wrong with him... Don't give up, he still might be treatable!!
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #3 
Adastra

If he's been in the 55G the whole time, he would benefit from a smaller container without any flow from a filter. Stable, warm temperatures and lots of peace and quiet may help him perk up. As I suggested before, rubbermaid/sterilite containers are something you should really consider keeping around as a hospital tank.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #4 
ColtenB

i didn't mean it as his fins are falling off...i have a really tiny cup thingy for bettas that i had my old betta is when i was younger..like i said hes just kinda floating there..every so often i check back and its the same i have him upstairs now were its warmer...theres no fish in the 55 i put the gold fish in the 10 so that if i havn't killed all the ich babys yet then soon they will die....thanks for giving me a bit of hope guys =)
Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #5 
Posaune

Ich is a terrible thing, but now you know what to look out for. I had the same thing devastate my first community of fish, leaving 2 alive. Here's hoping it all works out for you :)

Metta
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #6 
ColtenB

Thank You all for your help..hes still not lookin to well only time will tell i guess...he don't really move much still hes just floating up at the top still not dead witch is a plus...how i could attack the ich thats actually on him? Could i use a pinch of salt? thats all i would be able to use though because its about the size of a coffee cup maybe a lil bit bigger
Old 11-04-2010, 12:26 AM   #7 
Posaune

You'll just need to let the protozoan go through its life cycle. The ich on him are actually cysts, pockets of the protozoan just waiting to burst open and enter the water. Continue with the medication, follow the directions. Time is the only thing now.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #8 
ColtenB

Well i noticed last night that he was super active in his cup he still wont eat this morning i did a 100% water change i think he looks a little bit better when i got up he was on the bottom of the cup hangin out now hes up at the top floating again..about how long until the cysts break open?Thank you all for your help =)
Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #9 
Adastra

It largely depends on temperature, this is why it's recommended to raise the temperature of the water to treat infested fish. Here is a decent article on the life cycle of ich: http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2160&aid=2421
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #10 
ColtenB

ok so if i understand that right if its nice and warm in the water in about 8 hours their cycle should be done?...also they attach to plants? ummm can they survive on plants after that 48 hrs i guess what i'm saying is can they use a plant just like they would the fish? i didn't really undersand that part....Update on betta hes more active at night he looks a little bit better not much still wont eat..still has the cysts i'll give it a bit and change his water again...in hopes that i can poor some down the sink to their doom lol