Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #1 
emeltee

If I don't want to use carbon in my filter, then what

I have a 5 gallon Hawkeye tank from Walmart. If I don't want to use the carbon filter thing (sorry, don't know what the technical term is), what can I use instead.

As I understand it, I have to change the carbon thing every 3-4 weeks. Whereas if I use something else, I only have to swish it in old tank water before putting it back.
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #2 
wystearya

I have the same tank. :)

What I was told is that you can cut open the blue sponge part on the carbon filter cartridge. I cut a line down the center. Then you shake out all (or most) of the activated carbon bits. I then used a needle and thread to sew back up the part I cut, but I don't think you would have to. Now I just have the sponge filter (along with the second Bio Fiber filter the kit came with) in the filter box.

Activated carbon can soak up nutrients live plants need, and they can also make some fish medications less effective. This is why I didn't want to use the activated carbon.

Anyway, this is one option for you!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #3 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wystearya View Post
I have the same tank. :)

What I was told is that you can cut open the blue sponge part on the carbon filter cartridge. I cut a line down the center. Then you shake out all (or most) of the activated carbon bits. I then used a needle and thread to sew back up the part I cut, but I don't think you would have to. Now I just have the sponge filter (along with the second Bio Fiber filter the kit came with) in the filter box.

Activated carbon can soak up nutrients live plants need, and they can also make some fish medications less effective. This is why I didn't want to use the activated carbon.

Anyway, this is one option for you!

Thanks! I am going to do that.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #4 
emeltee

Thanks for the reply. I just bought a replacement pack of sponges, so I'll do just what you suggested.

Have you replaced your sponge at all? I'm just wondering if there ever is a point that you need to replace it if you don't have carbon.
emeltee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:59 AM   #5 
Alex09

You can leave it in there. After a while (around 2 weeks or so) your carbon will run out. You dont need to replace it either. you can leave it in there and let it become part of the bio-filter. Carbon is not a necessary part of filtration.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote