Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #1 
bfuddy

1 Gallon Water Changing Schedule

Hi there, I've got a turquoise male betta named Carmelo

He lives in a 1 Gallon Tank with filter.

However, I've noticed that the filter makes the current inside the tank too strong and my betta has trouble swimming.

This is the filter I use:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752355

I don't want to throw out the filter because it does a fantastic job of sucking in all the poo and junk that I miss when I do my water changes (which is every other day or 2 days).

So I wanted to ask, would it be alright if I turned the filter off during the day (when Carmelo is very active) and then turn it on during the night (when he's sleeping inside his cave)?
bfuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Filters really don't work in 1 gallon tanks. You can't get the Nitrogen Cycle going in a tank that small, so it's really not doing it's job. You need at least 2.5 to 3 gallons of water to cycle a tank. In anything less than 3 gallons, it's best to do 100% water changes every 2 to 3 days.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 
JKfish

I agree with Taylor. While it gets the poo out, if it isn't cycled, the ammonia ( which is the killer) is not removed by it, so it doesn't help keep theater clean of the true bad stuff. If it makes it hard for him to swim, you'll want to take it out
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #4 
Perdue

BuckFuddy LOL
Perdue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:53 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

The only problem with that is the good bacteria will start to die off after about 6 hours without oxygenated water flow and when you turn the filter back on you will be dumping the by-product(ammonia) of decaying matter into the tank

It is best to either leave it on all the time or baffle it and leave it on

Also, in a 1gal with a filter you should be able to maintain water quality with twice weekly 50% water changes...without-1-50% and 1-100% weekly....provide that you don't over feed and uneaten food is removed after feeding.....

Edit-you can cycle 1gal tanks been doing it for years.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #6 
bfuddy

how can you baffle the filter that I have?

I don't think its possible?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I have one like that and I cram it full of poly-fill (craft dept) to slow the flow...another good filter for 1gal is a sponge filter.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #8 
Adastra

I would not recommend trying to cycle the tank, I believe it is too small to be stable and the filter will likely knock your fish around too much in a tank that size since there isn't much room in the tank for a "dead zone" without current. Your fish will also benefit from a larger container from an environmental enrichment standpoint, fish in larger containers have more decorations to explore, more territory to defend, and space to exercise in. Your fish will run less of a risk of developing neurotic behavior such as glass-surfing and tail-biting in a larger tank, and is less likely to become obese.

Also, keep in mind that bettas are tropical fish that need stable temperatures of 78-83 degrees to be comfortable, healthy, and active--these temperatures are best maintained by a submersible heater, and most quality adjustable heaters are designed for use in tanks that are a minimum of two gallons. If you happen to have a fish room set to 80 degrees all the time and offer your fish plenty of environmental enrichment in other ways, yes, a one gallon tank can work, but in a typical household situation it's best to go with something a little larger.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #9 
bfuddy

ya i know im nagging my parents ALOT to get me a bigger tank soon
itll probably have to wait till christmas tho.

So I had an idea because I really wanted to keep using the filter.

Since it's powered by an air pump, I simply tied a tight knot in the plastic tube carrying the air from the pump to the filter.

And so, the current of the filter is MUCH lower now, my betta is not affected and the filter is still doing its job.

What do you guys thing? Is this a suitable compromise for now? And will the air pump motor be negatively affected?
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Ah cee whut yu did thar.

Yeah things sound fine. I have no idea how it'll affect the air pump though.

Since Adastra brought it up... Your tank is heated right? It's cold as all get out where I am that's for sure and they are tropical fish. Also do you have a thermometer to measure the temp? I'm sure you do but I just wanted to check. =]

Also I'd advise taking a trip to Petsmart or PetCo on black Friday. =] That'd be a great time to get a tank/kit on sale! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote