Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #1 
Panthera

Cycling & Other Questions

Yes I made another thread, and yes I have even more questions to bother you experts with xD Okay so Adamu is doing pretty good right now, his tank is at a nice 80 degrees even though he still has the same crappy heater. I think I'll be able to go tomorrow and get a new one, along with some other stuff.

Okay so I had a question about Cycling. I know I need to get a filter in order to do so, but I heard about this Tetra Safe Start liquid that is supposed to be okay when used while the fish is in the tank. I was just wondering if someone could please explain to me how exactly I do this, and if there are any risks to Adamu if I do it while he's still in the tank. Also how much do you think the TSS and filter would cost? I also heard I need a kit to test the PH and Amonia of the water.

Thanks! Oh and is scotch tape dangerous to Betta's? I just taped the thermometer to the side of the tank and wanted to make sure it was safe.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Save your money on the cycle products-you can safely cycle your tank with your Betta provided that you make the needed water changes.

Once you get a filter going
This is a 5gal right......
Without water test products-make 50% water only change a week and 50% with substrate vacuum/cleaning a week

With water testing products for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH-make a regular 50% weekly water change with substrate vacuum/cleaning and a water only change with water pram reading of ammonia and/or nitrite 0.25ppm or greater

The nitrogen cycle can take 4-8 weeks-you know you are most likely cycled with water prams readings are-ammonia and nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 5-10ppm for several days without a water change except of the regular weekly water change.

The nitrifying bacteria are sticky and adhere to everything in the tank-like the walls, decoration, plants both real and fake, in the top layer of substrate and in the filter media- very little are in the water column so water only changes will not slow the cycling process....over cleaning the filter media and vacuuming will

The filter media needs a rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off to maintain good water flow....you want the filter media to look dirty...this is good bacteria.

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-05-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 
Panthera

Okay thank you. So I wouldn't have to buy anything like TSS? I would just do two 50% changes a week? Guess I'll have to buy a Siphon as well tomorrow: Betta's are expensive lol. Also once I DO get the tank cycled and I have enough plants and other stuff for Adamu, would my 5.5 Gallon tank be big enough to divide and get another Betta? Would a male or female do better?

I also plan on getting a Sorority in a few months time, after I research and have everything ready of course ;) These things are ADDICTING.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote