Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #1 
awesomeapril

faulty tank devider= fish fight disaster

This is the before and after picture of one of my fish.

The picture of the tank is from the first time I tried to set them up and resulted with couldy water and lethargic fish. After having the help of the lovely Ms. Fish lady I was able to cycle my 20 gal, so I could divide it into three sections. Unfortunately I made my own dividers out of a pliable plastic mesh material and had about two or three inches of it folded underneath the gravel thinking that they wouldn't be able to get out of their sections this way. I was wrong...:(

The fish you see above was the loser I'm guessing. The other fish's fins seem to be doing ok for the most part slightly torn and missing a half of his bottom fin.
The fish above is now in a hospital tank. The other is back in the 20 gal. Neither of them will eat. The one in the hospital tank had betta fix and salt, heated, no gravel but a few silk plants, no filter, I didn't want to bother is with the current. I plan on doing 50% water changes twice a day. And I only put about 6 inches of water in there, my guess is that there is a gallon and a half to two gallons of water in that tank. Water parameters are normal for both tanks, no amonia, ph is a 7.4, a bit high, but that's normal for them. Nitrate is at 20 in the 20 gal and 0 in the hospital tank. No nitrites. also, all decorations are silk plants, or hide away huts. I will be getting duck weed in this week though. :)

Is there anything else I should be doing?

thanks a bunch
Attached Images

awesomeapril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #2 
awesomeapril

oh, I got a back drop to prevent too much light sence that pitcure was taken.
Also the current set up of the 20 gal is that is divided into three sections with the middle section empty. the two fish at are in there now are not even aware of each other. both are bettas. I was thinking of getting a Betta friendly fish for the middle section of the tank.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:22 PM   #3 
awesomeapril

anyone?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think keeping their water clean is the best thing for them and it sounds like you are already doing that. I'm sorry about your fish. Bad boys! lol Good luck with them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #5 
Colibri

Poor little guy! His tail really looks like he's been to war. I'd suggest you put him in a "hospital tank" and use some aquarium salt as prevention. Keep his water crystal clean, he should be OK in a few weeks. His tail will regenerate, just be patient.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #6 
awesomeapril

bad news, the duckweed that I put in the tank got drown by my filter, I wasn't able to net it all out in time, one of the fish that I left in the tank died :( the other is very sick. I didn't even bother taking the water parameters, now I'm keeping him in a gal container. with water changes every day. I'm very frustrated.
This weekend I started over and put some hornwart in there instead, but the nitrate levels are too high to put my girls in so I can put the boys in the smaller tanks, .5 to 1 part per million on the nitrate and 1 ppm on the amonia.

one boy is battered the other is sick and the 2 females are doing fine. :( very sad about all of this. .and I have to go away for a few days for thanks giving, which would be fine if they weren't having so many issues, trying to find a friend who can help, but it's not fun taking care of sick fish on a holiday. :(
Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #7 
awesomeapril

update: duck weed i got died, couldn't scoop all of it out even though I thought I did the unknown rotting material took its tole on the two fish left in the 20 gal. phech died, but I finally got Minion eating again today; first time in 2 weeks!! :( at least it seems like he is getting better.
Victor the really beat up one is doing great, his fins are starting to grow back.
we made it through thanksgiving!! :)

Last edited by awesomeapril; 11-30-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:11 PM   #8 
crowntail lover

You are just having the worst luck ever! I am so sorry! But you seem to be doing everything you can for your guys and girls. And I hope everything goes as planned for now on!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #9 
awesomeapril

Thanks for the support!
Old 11-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Are you sure your tank is fully cycled? It sounds like it's still having swings.

If it is then I have no idea what's up and I wish you the best. I'm sorry about all the trouble you're having. :[ *hugs*
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote