Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #21 
TaylorW

Wow, that tank looks much better! Great job! :) :) :)

I think you could do the same thing with a marimo ball if you can't find java moss. You can pick the balls apart and it should grow fine.

Live plants keep your water cleaner, so the more live plants the better! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #22 
Newtonbetta

While the mesh has cut down on flaring, it has not cut it down completely. Can fish "smell" a nearby fish on the other side? i don't think he can see the other side.. and if he can, it's only shadows.

I dont know if maybe I should add another piece of mesh to make it even less transparent.. The fish on the left is very aggressive.
Newtonbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #23 
TaylorW

Maybe you could try to give him some other form of entertainment, a lot of people provide ping pong balls, betta logs, and "mirror time" as entertainment!

Try floating a ping pong ball on the water surface, some fish like to push it around the tank! Also try holding a mirror outside of his tank for a few minutes a day so that he can work out some aggression on his reflection. Floating betta logs also make great toys, a lot of fish like to swim through them or hide in them.

Live plants might help as well, my fish was bored all the time when I had plastic plants. Now that I have live plants he no longer stares at me vacantly out of boredom and now rubs against their leaves and builds bubble nests!

He doesn't really have much to do in a tank that size, and is probably bored and naturally aggressive. So even if he does just see a shadow on the other side, he'll probably keep going at it if he doesn't have anything else to do. I don't know if they can smell each other, but I haven't heard of anyone else having that problem.

I'd say that boredom and lack of swimming space is the issue here :/
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #24 
Newtonbetta

So heres my new setup.. I sucked it up and got a 10gal with aquaclear 20 filter. I made the divider per the tutorial...

Two things:

1. The filter makes a lot of air bubbles from the "waterfall." The little bubbles rise to the surface and collect - they look a lot like a bubble nest. Any way to get rid of these?

2. There appears to be some gravel dust on the surface of the side without the filter.. Which makes me wonder how good the filtration is on the non-filter side.. I used plastic mesh so water definitely passes through.. See below.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #25 
scootshoot

I am sure their little betta hearts go up several beats when alarmed and flaring at a potential intruder. To have your bettas under this constant threat 24/7 can't be healthy.

Last edited by scootshoot; 11-17-2010 at 05:44 PM.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:52 PM   #26 
Newtonbetta

Please read prior posts - the divider was made via the tutorial from a user here. The plastic mesh has two layers and cannot be seen through. They haven't flared once since I took them out of the 2.5
Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #27 
Colibri

It looks great Newton! I'm glad you opted for a bigger tank! It will make things easier. The old one can be used for a single betta if you'd like to rescue one someday. Yes, I can see the water is a little cloudy. I'm sure it's because of the dust some gravel have. If you do 100% water changes sometime soon, try rinsing the stones inside a strainer (like the ones used for spaghetti) so the dust goes. Or, you con always siphon the bottom, that will also help you with the cloudy thing. What kind of filter are you using? I'm sure that has something to do with the dust on the surface of the other side.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #28 
Newtonbetta

Its an AquaClear 20. Its made for 5-20 gallon tanks. I had rinsed out the gravel, I guess not enough... Do you think filtration can still get to the "weak side" of the tank?
Old 11-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #29 
Colibri

I guess it should. The divider allows the water to pass through. Maybe if you put some kind of aeration, an air-stone could be a good idea to "break" the surface of the water, give it more movement and help the dust to pass to the other side and be filtered. My divided tank has an under-gravel filter and it works great on both sides. The side that doesn't have the filter column has an air-stone, so both sides have movement.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 PM   #30 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtonbetta View Post
Please read prior posts - the divider was made via the tutorial from a user here. The plastic mesh has two layers and cannot be seen through. They haven't flared once since I took them out of the 2.5
Oh my bad. You ended up with a nice setup there. Good work!
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote