Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #1 
StayyyFlyyy

So thought someone else could use this...

I wanted to cycle my fish tank.. fishless of course.. I was very eager to get it started and had no ammonia no raw shrimp no filter with bacteria nothng... just the fish, in a vase so i took a cube of mysis shrimp put it in a sandwich bag and tied the corner of it ripped it off poked some holes in the bag with a safety pin stuck it in the gravel so that it didnt float up and turned the heater to 83.. I tested the water 2 days later.. .4 ppm of ammonia nad i think today will be a little more. so i was surprised how simple it was if you dont have the ideal requirments to cycle a tank... grantite the water was a little cloudy but im sure with a simple water change it will be crystal clear again!
StayyyFlyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #2 
bloo97

That's cool!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM   #3 
StayyyFlyyy

my mistake 4 ppm of ammonia.. not .4 oops!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:49 PM   #4 
MultipleTankTayler

Yeah, if it's a decorative vase with no filter or media, carbon, etc...It won't ever begin to build good bacteria that eats ammonia. With no filter a tank will never cycle.
Are you feeding the betta meaty pellets?? It isn't one of those plant growing vases is it? BC they need meaty food or they will starve.

The tanks I have with NO FILTER I change 25% everyday or every other day so the ammonia doesn't go crazy, plus I use PRIME or KENT MARINE tap water conditioner.

If you have $25-30 bucks for a 5 gallon Hawkeye hex tank from Walmart.com, get it... then get a $1 algae sponge to baffle + rubber band for the filter which is too strong for betta.... throw a bit of cocktail shrimp (without the betta in it) for like a week or three (what it took my 16G to cycle)...it doesn't smell or anything either which I thought it would....this or the eclipse 3 galllon is one sale on amazon for $40, and it stays 79-81 without a heater.

Hope this helps!!! Good luck!!
MultipleTankTayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #5 
Adastra

Yeah, I'm confused, here.. are you saying you're keeping the fish in the vase temporarily while you start your cycle in your other tank? It doesn't seem like you're trying to cycle the vase, since I find it unlikely that you'd do all the research on the fishless cycle without picking up the fact that you need a filter for it to work, haha. Can you tell us a little more about your setup?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #6 
StayyyFlyyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Yeah, I'm confused, here.. are you saying you're keeping the fish in the vase temporarily while you start your cycle in your other tank? It doesn't seem like you're trying to cycle the vase, since I find it unlikely that you'd do all the research on the fishless cycle without picking up the fact that you need a filter for it to work, haha. Can you tell us a little more about your setup?

you sir.. are correct.. he is temporarily in the vase.. while the 3 gallon cycles.. i also have a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon
Old 11-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #7 
StayyyFlyyy

So just to help you get a better understanding of what im doing... the bag of mysis shrimp is stuck in the sand and the fish is in a vase getting water changes every other day... but i just got some nitrite readings so this is going along smoothly so far...