Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #1 
scheherezade

Is there a thread on here about breeders you have dealt with?

Hi all,
I'm new on the forum. I've had bettas for several years and stumbled on this forum while searching for a cure for my betta that had a sudden case of bloat. Unfortunately, he didn't make it, but I did try. He was not a young man, but he was my buddy. Like I said, I've had bettas for about 5 years now and have always gotten them from local pet stores. Often, they've been ok or not exceptionally pretty but there was just something about them. Bringing them home to a nice big home and giving them good care always ended up with my suprise at just how beautiful they became, however their personality was the big draw. Anyway, to get to my point, I like looking at pictures of all the beautiful bettas online, like many of us and am currently eyeballing one on a site called bettafishstore.com I can't find any reviews though and I have mixed feelings about having one shipped from Thailand, although I know many of them get here that way. Obviously its a good bit more to spend with the shipping then the petstore variety. I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this breeder or possibly could point me in the direction of some reviews. Thanks all!
scheherezade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

I've dealt with 3 so far. One I forget who it was but everything went well. One was the_K on aquabid who I reccomend 100%. He's friendly and will answer all the questions you ask him. The next is Chaba on aquabid who is sending my first fish from Thailand tomorrow. He's giving me a free CT male with my pair so I reccomend him as well hehe.

Personally www.aquabid.com is the only place I buy from but some breeders have sites that sell as well but most use aquabid.

Also all bettas in stores are from Thailand.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

I used bettaakapes on aquabid...He was great, and he walked me through the whole process for my first purchase. He followed up and continued emailing me until after my family actually recieved the fish and he settled in, and was glad he was going into a good home! :)
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I've gotten most of my fish from shows but I do recommend Martinismommy on aquabid. She's an awesome seller and is in the US so you don't have to deal with transhipping.

Another seller who I'm getting fish from soon is CoolBettas, he is also in the US.

If you go with a seller on aquabid just check their reputation and you can usually figure out whether or not they are a good seller.

For a transhipper (if you buy a fish from over seas) I highly recommend Jen Vivieros.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

I have no clue about transhippers but I'm going through Linda Olson mainly because I can pick my fish up from her. I'd advise against the transhipper known as Pegasus, go with Linda or Jen since they're the most widely used.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

I used Vivieros, and it all worked out. She wasn't like super friendly, but she got the fish to my house FAST, he was shipped the moment I paid
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 
scheherezade

Thanks all

She actually sells on aquabid as well. I'm not sure about the ordering thing based on the past method I've used to pick out my pet store bettas, their personality is a huge part of the reason I love them so much. But you know how you get. You see that one fish and go wow! And you keep going back and back and back.....
scheherezade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #8 
metalbetta

Yeah I saw Pegasus pop up out of nowhere on the auctions, I'm a bit iffy, as his deals seem too good to be true.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Pegasus has some health issues and some people have had issues with improper packing with him. From what I've heard it's a hit or miss.

I've never heard a bad word about Jen. She's in my local breeders group and SUPER nice. She does have twin girls at home to take care of plus hundreds of tranship fish so don't expect long emails. She is very professional.

I've heard good and bad things about Linda. The bad things (and the fact that Jen is so close to me) make me not want to use Linda. Its nothing against her as a person but I prefer to go with the person who has the least amount of bad reviews against them.

On another note.. Jen V or Hopdiggity on Aquabid is selling fish to raise money for our local show next season so check out her auctions and BUY some fish!! They're all imported from Thailand and well cared for, not to mention her prices are great. /end shameless plug/
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

I've talked to Linda on the phone. Her opinions on other breeders isn't as nice as we are on here but she's so close and she's helped me with some past problems.