Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #1 
The Game

Female still inactive and ignores food, what to do?!?!?!

Ok so I have my female betta from my sorority seperated and in her own tank. Shes still alive but spends a lot of time hiding in the cave I made and I feed her when she comes out. The food sinks right in front of her and she ignores it!!! She doesnt even bother about it. S he looks kinda sickly, as in she just doesnt do anything but lay there witha blank look. What should i do?!??!?!
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #2 
Capricorn

I'm not familiar with another issue (if you had posted one), so do you mind filling out this form to give us an idea of what's up?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #3 
The Game

oh whoops sorry
ok the tank is around 5 gallons with a filter and a ramshorn snail. i recently moved it from a 13 gallon sorority with 3 other females. I fed them on the usual betta pellets but they were crushed to around a tenth of the usual size and i fed this 2-3 times a day but this particular female did not eat any while the others happily ate it. i perform weekly 50% water changes and i add betta water conditioner along with stresszyme for the biological filter. i have not tested the water of this tank but in the 13 gallon, all the levels were fine(i dont have the exact results). ever since i bought her, she has been very inactive, just lying on the substrate and not eating. she may have eaten some food that sank but ive never seen that happening. the only time she does move is to go to the surface for air. i have not treated the fish with anything, apart from moving her to her own tank in hopes of her being more comfortable alone. i also saw her pooping but the faeces was a whilte color with small white bulbs along it. it was hanging from her for quite a while and it looked like a white string with little white balls every 0.5 - 1 cm apart and the string itself was probably 3cm. i bought her around 3 weeks ago. i just dont know what is wrong with her as food sinks righ in front of her and she does not even move to get it.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #4 
Capricorn

White poop... sounds like internal parasites, maybe? I'm not certain, so don't quote me on it. Abnormal poop usually means that there is something wrong with the fish, and I believe white is usually associated with parasites.

Hoping Ada or OFL will pop in, I don't really have any experience with parasites myself..
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #5 
The Game

yea thats what a guy at my LFS told me last time, and my other female died from it...
Old 11-05-2010, 11:40 PM   #6 
acloudconnected

I've been advised on this board by OldFishLady that a great natural cure for internal parasites is to roll their pellets in a little garlic juice when you're softening them. It couldn't hurt to start trying something like this in the interim, while you wait for someone who can offer some more advanced advice.
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #7 
The Game

k ill try that but the fish doesnt even bother to look at pellets though? will it work?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #8 
acloudconnected

I've just gone through a rough few days with two boys who came from a super bad situation. One of them really wasn't interested in food at all, and the other was not interested in pellets. We weren't sure about their potentially having parasites, so decided to hit them with some garlic juice just in case since it really doesn't cause any harm. I did find that my super picky one actually sometimes sucked the pellet in a time or two, and the one who wouldn't eat pellets finally started eating them... so in my situation it did work... you can only try. I don't think it would hurt, right?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:00 AM   #9 
The Game

ooh ok ill try to get some garlic juice, dont know where to get it though. any ideas?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #10 
acloudconnected

I just took a clove of raw garlic. Crushed it, dropped it in a plastic bowl with a lid and put a few drops of water in the bowl. Then I closed it up, and shook it around until there was some cloudy moisture in the bowl. I dunk my pellets in there, and drop them in for my fish.

I just want to add here that I am SUPER new to Bettas... literally today is Day 9 for me... so please keep this in mind when listening to what I have to say here. I've probably done this all wrong myself!