Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #1 
Iziezi

Question Stress or Bad Water?

Okay, so I just got Dobby's new jar set up, and moving him over was horrible and traumatic. I couldn't catch him with the net, but scared the crap out of him, then I finally got him in the cup by pouring nearly all the water out of his smaller bowl (and nearly getting him crushed under the stones I have at the bottom! )

Getting him into the new jar wasn't too difficult, but now he's just floating at the bottom, breathing hard, and not moving except to go to the surface for air occasionally. He's been like this for about 10 minutes.

Is this just stress from the moving process, or is there something wrong with the water? I added some aquarium salt, which he never had before. There's also now a small heater, a thermometer, and a plastic plant that he didn't have before.

Any thoughts? I already poured out some of the water, and put in fresh unsalted water, in case there was too much.
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I remember seeing your user name but I don't remember what is going on with your Betta....are you treating him for some reason?.....sorry, I answer a lot of post and can't remember them all.....

Did you use enough dechloranator in the new water, was the water close in temp between the new and old water
And yes, he may just be stressed from the move-what is the water temp now and how much salt did you use?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #3 
Iziezi

Unhappy Still Breathing Hard

It's been 20 minutes since I started teh thread, and he's still breathing hard. And sometimes he starts to swim towards the top, but stops half-way and floats back down again. It's almost like he's looking for the surface, but can't find it (?) because it's further up now in his new jar than it was before.

I'm worried. I don't know what to do.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Remove half the water and replace with fresh dechlorinated water really slow and try not to disturb him much.

Your old water and new water are they from the same source?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #5 
Iziezi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I remember seeing your user name but I don't remember what is going on with your Betta....are you treating him for some reason?.....sorry, I answer a lot of post and can't remember them all.....

Did you use enough dechloranator in the new water, was the water close in temp between the new and old water
And yes, he may just be stressed from the move-what is the water temp now and how much salt did you use?
Thank you for your reply, FishLady! =) You must have been posting at the same time I posted my second message. I posted maybe 30 minutes before about changing heated water, and you offered a great reply, thank you!

Okay, so Dobby is healthy. His new jar is about a gallon, maybe 1-1/2 gal. Originally, when I was setting up his tank, I put in a 1/2 teaspoon of salt (this is how much the salt carton said to add), and 3 drops of AquaSafe. Then I poured maybe a third of the water out so I could add his plants and rocks and things inside without the water overflowing. In a separate jar, I put maybe 2-3 cups water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the AquaSafe got away from me, maybe 1/4 teaspoon, and added that to the big jar to fill it up again. Then after I moved Dobby into the big jar, and he was breathing hard, I poured out a quarter of the water, and replaced with fresh water, nothing added. The thermometer says the water is just about 78*, which is just about what it was before. Thanks for helping me with this!
Old 11-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I think we did post at the same time....lol....anyway...any time you add any new water make sure and add the dechlorinator to it first or even after/during the time you are pouring it in the tank......with most of the dechloranator products you can't overdose-the ones that have the additives like aloe or stuff for the slim coat you can overdose because it can coat the gills too much....as far as the salt I wouldn't use it long term-short term for treatment is fine and often it is useful for a fish in high stress situation...but not needed long term and can be harmful with some species in relation to kidney as well as parasite/pathogen resistant issues with continued use and wrong dosage....10 days is max that I use it for treatment in a start dose of 1tsp/gal up to 3tsp/gal

How is he doing now?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #7 
Iziezi

Thank you, FishLady! =) Dobby is doing about the same. At least he's not getting worse. He's not breathing quite as hard now. I did pour out half again, and replace with dechlorinated water as you suggested. When I put my finger in the water and taste it, it still tastes a tiny bit salty.

From some of the stuff I've been reading here, I thought it was a routine thing to add a little bit of salt to their water.

Okay he just floated to the top and he's staying there now, and it looks like he's breathing okay again. Phew! Thank you again, for your help! =)