Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #1 
buddie513

Is Sophie okay? Please help!

Hello! Sophie is my first betta, and she has always been a bit odd, but now I fear she's sick. I bought her back in September at Petco and she was always really active and hyper. A few weeks later, she randomly laid eggs (without a male, which I've read is really rare), and she still appears to have the egg sack on her belly to this day. She seemed completely normal for a while after this strange behavior, but over the course of the past couple weeks she's grown progressively less active and just sort of lays at the surface against her leaf hammock or her water heater. Occasionally she will freak out and dart about the tank alarmingly quickly, and the other day she hit the rocks so hard they moved! Like I said, she has always been hyper so she has always done something similar to this, but now it's getting alarming and she doesn't continue to swim around normally afterward - she just lays at the surface. Her gills seem to have some kind of red inflammation, too, but I change her 1-gallon bowl at least once a week. Is that not enough? Is she ok? Does she need medicine? Her bowl is kept at 78 degrees constantly, if that helps with anything. PLEASE HELP!

If these pictures aren't helpful, I can take more :) Thanks!
Attached Images

buddie513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....
I would start by making some 100% daily water changes for a few days and see if she won't perk up for you and then stay on top of twice weekly regular water changes of 1-50% and 1-100% a week

It is normal for female to either drop their eggs or absorb them on a regular basis=she will always have eggs but they are not ripe...so don't worry about that...

Keep us updated on how she is doing and if she respond to the clean water

Remember to use a good dechlorinator with any water you add to the fish if on city water supply and try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water to prevent any water temp related problems.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 
buddie513

Not any better!

I changed her water but she doesn't seem to be any better. She didn't eat this morning and she's starting to droop when she's resting. Her head stays near the surface but her body bends downward. She also has this thing hanging off her head on the bottom, and I can't tell what it is. Hopefully you can see it from the pictures. PLEASE if there's anything you can suggest, PLEASE SUGGEST IT! I love Sophie so much and want her to get better!
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It looks like your temp is on about 74F if I am seeing that right....she may be cold.....I can't tell by the pic what that is on her body, can you tell if it is a worm or part of her flesh? google anchor worms and see if any of the pic look like what she has

You added the correct amount of dechloranator...correct......this is really important if you are on city water supply

Do you have any aquarium salt...you can do a leave in salt treatment and see if that won't help

Get a clean 1gal jug-fill with dechloranated water the same temp as what she is in and add 1tsp/gal of aquarium salt-let the salt dissolve and use this water to make a 100% water change every day for 10 days-try and get the temp up to at least 76F but no higher than 78F while she is sick.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #5 
buddie513

Not a worm

Thank you so much for your help! I googled anchor worms, but this looks more like part of her flesh. Is there any convenient alternative to the treatment you suggest? I am in college and have no transportation to a pet store of any kind! Again, thank you for helping - I'm so worried.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:37 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

You can use kosher salt from the grocery store..until then just do the water changes....if it is flesh hanging off of her it is most likely from an injury....best medication is clean dechlorinated water from daily water changes to help prevent secondary infections.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #7 
buddie513

Hi, again! So at this point I'm not sure what to think. I was really concerned about her on Monday-she looked dead- so I went to Petco and picked up Melafix and Pimafix because I read on other forums that these are basically magic medicines. On Tuesday she seemed worse, then Wednesday about the same, then yesterday a tiny bit perkier. Today she seems the same as yesterday, maybe a little better. She hasn't eaten in 5 days, though. I think I saw her eat a flake earlier when I was changing her water, but that's the only thing I've seen her eat. She is still just laying at the surface most of the time, but will swim around in circles occasionally. She isn't banging herself into things anymore (that I can tell - I've been busy and out of the room most of the days). I bought her a new plant (this one has curved leaves that aren't poky like the old plant's leaves) just in case she slams into it. This way she can't hurt herself on the plant. The wound is looking better, but I'm concerned about a white patch-thing on her gills. It looks like it's on both sides in the same spot. Hopefully you can see it from the pictures. The first is from 2 days ago, and the others are from a few minutes ago. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!
Attached Images

Old 06-15-2014, 03:07 PM   #8 
Crembrufundew

Don't worry. The first step is to relax. Take a deep breath...
Like OldFishlady said, she might be cold. Reset the heater to about 75-80 degrees, that should do the trick.
Aquarium salt could also help to liven her up, and get her beautiful green to show.
Try switching to stress coat to de-stress her, I can help a lot!
For my betta fish, Salt, I prepared 1 cup of decaf green tea(very important that it is decaf) to his tank water during cleaning. I found that a week later his fin rot has reduced, but in your case it could stimulate natural water colour to make her more comfortable. I think your heater needs to be changed, but it isn't urgent don't worry.
Try searching the garlic-food for betta on google.
Basically, you dip her pellets or food in garlic juice and feed it to het. this will make her immune system stronger, which could keep her alive and healthy and able to protect herself against bad bacteria.
Hope I helped,
Many thanks for the post
Crembrufundew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #9 
freeflow246

This thread is 4 years old. ;)
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #10 
Crembrufundew

I realized that long ago, Lol.
I had no idea until my message was posted, but thanks for the heads up:)
I posted it to help other people with the same problem, trust me it is a nightmare you don't want to be in!
Thanks
Crembrufundew is offline   Reply With Quote