Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2014, 08:35 AM   #1 
Stormyseas

Unhappy My fish won't eat

I've had Knight for a little over a month now. When I got him he had swim bladder disease but that went away after the recommended treatment (about 4 weeks free now).

He's in a 10 gal. filtered tank, kept at around 78 deg, give or take 2 deg every now and then. I change 10% every Saturday and vacuum once every two weeks (due again this coming weekend). I've been feeding him Aqueon color enhancing betta pellets (3-5 twice a day) and 5 blood worms at one feeding twice a week. (also Aqueon brand) I use An Aqueon conditioner for large tanks, and Algaefix once a week as the bottle directs to prevent the fate of my last 2 fish. None of the water parameters have changed, and are all at stable levels... pH: 8, Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0 ppm and Nitrates are at 18 ppm... but he won't eat.

He just hides from me and everything else. occasionally I see him swim out from behind the filter or his castle, and when I open the tank to put in a pellet and see if he'll eat he either hides or stares at the pellet till it sinks and then runs away. He does this with blood worms until I take them out. This has been going on for 2 days now.

He ate regular in the morning the day it started and that night he wouldn't eat, I figured he was grumpy, but now he still won't eat.

I've never had this with a betta but I did with a goldfish and he refused to eat for an entire week before he died.

I'm worried about Knight, has anyone else had a fish refuse to eat before? His physical appearance hasn't changed and his behavior is the same except for the eating thing. He still chirps at me around feeding time, but then he won't eat.... I don't know if there's something wrong or if he's just ornery... I have changed nothing and I'm beginning to wonder if he just doesn't like this food anymore... there are no tank mates so I know that's not what's keeping him from eating...

Oh and, all his plants are silk and I have 2 "homemade" caves and a plastic sandcastle that passed the nylon test, a heater, thermometer, and filter that are all still in working order and doing their jobs. he still swims around so I know the current isn't too strong and he goes everywhere so I don't think it's swim bladder again...

PLEASE HELP... I'm worried.... :(
Stormyseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:54 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

I've had a betta that has refused to eat. Bettas can actually go several weeks without eating, so he is fine and he won't starve or anything.

You might want to change more then 10% of the water at each water change. I would maybe change 50%.

Upgrade to better food. Some bettas are very picky eaters. Try Omega One Pellets or New Life Spectrum. I'v heard that New Life Spectrum tastes better to the fish but even my picky eater will eat omega one. Also I would stop feeding him bloodworms. Those are more for an occasional treat, a few times a month. They will cause your fish to get very bloated.

Keep feeding him. Drop a pellet in one at a time. If he eats it then offer another. If he doesn't then just remove it from the tank. Keep doing this. Eventually he will learn that he has to eat it and he'll eat.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #3 
Stormyseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
I've had a betta that has refused to eat. Bettas can actually go several weeks without eating, so he is fine and he won't starve or anything.

You might want to change more then 10% of the water at each water change. I would maybe change 50%.
Good to know about the eating...

I was told by other people here that a 10% change would be fine once a week since it's only him in 10 gallons of water...
Old 06-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #4 
VivianKJean

This is from the oldfishlady water change recommendations from the forum

10+gal without a filter
Once weekly 50% with vacuum and 90-100% as needed based on stocking

10+gal with a filter
Weekly 50% with vacuum
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #5 
Stormyseas

Thanks, I've noticed that one of his gills seems swollen. I'm trying to get a picture, and will post one as soon as I can, probably not till tomorrow. My phone is being replaced so it's not working right now and I loaned the camera to a friend. the swelling is most visible from the front, the best I can describe it is if you've ever seen someone who just had wisdom teeth pulled from one side of their mouth, it looks like that without the discoloration. He still isn't eating though and I don't know if that's it why. Could he be in pain? I didn't notice it till a little bit ago. He's stopped hiding, but he only moves if I put my hand near the side of the tank where he's been hanging out. He floats in about halfway down in one spot and only swims up for air. It's making me very nervous...
Old 06-12-2014, 10:46 PM   #6 
Stormyseas

Exclamation Pics of possibly swollen gill

Okay... so the iPod video and snapshot should work.... Please take a look and tell me what you think... I don't know how much help they'll be, but I hope they can show you something... It's the left gill I think is swollen... I've never seen that before... the black parts under his gill don't move like normal and the gill doesn't seem to close, as if there is something lodged in it... If it is something is it treatable and how do I do that? I did some research and one sight said that it was an ammonia burn, but my ammonia readings are at 0 ppm... HELP!!!
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2014, 10:53 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Are you able to encourage him to flare if you show him a mirror? If he refuses to open that gill or shies a way it is a good sign his head hurts. if he will flare get a good look at the gill sheets and beard for any guests such as gill flukes and look at the gill color, it should be the color of fresh salmon, if it is darker it means it is inflamed.

Give the water a change for the time being and add some stress coat conditioner if you have it which will soothe any sore spots.
AQ salt is only really necessary if you see any inflammation, but is an option.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #8 
Stormyseas

He has always refused to flare. He sort of half flared about a week after I got him when I put a statue of a dragon next to his tank, it wasn't a full extension, just a little raising of the gills, but nothing else has made him flare. Any attempts I make are met with him running to hide behind the filter or heater. It's as though if he sees another betta he wants to hide... I'm holding up a mirror now and he's hiding behind the heater again... it's getting rather frustrating... If it was an ammonia burn wouldn't both gills be affected? Are there any other symptoms for that I should look for in case I just got a bad batch of test strips... If I have to switch him to a hospital tank I will.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #9 
Stormyseas

I did some more research, could it be an inflamed gill? The underlined text is copy and pasted from this URL: http://bubblesandbettas.blogspot.com...-diseases.html

INFLAMED GILLS

When a Bettas gills become inflamed, one or both gills will not close properly. They may or may not look red on the inside; and if in the last stages, they would be gasping for air, unable to breathe properly.
A Bettas gills may become inflamed because of bad water conditions, or perhaps from a bacterial infection.
To cure, Isolate any sick Betta with Inflamed Gills, and every third day do a full water change. Every time you change the water, add any sort of bacterial medication you have, I would use either triple sulfur, or tetracycline if available. Get your water tested, if you don’t have a test kit - most LFS (local fish stores) will do it for you.

If this is a possibility should I start treatment, or wait a bit to see if it goes away on it's own. I don't want to lose another fish... the last two were to algae in a divided tank, I lost a tank school of goldfish before I got into bettas because the old filter emitted smoke into the water in the middle of the night... before that I last a few tanks to my brothers' good good natured attempts to feed them while I was at school... I seem to have bad luck with fish... I really want that to change...
Old 06-13-2014, 07:26 AM   #10 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I do not believe this is ammonia burn, there are many things that can cause gill inflammation such as gill flukes, fungal infestations and bacterial infections.

For the time being I recommend adding AQ salt to his tank water, this will slow down many fresh water nasties and cleanse any problem areas/numb them out so he won't be so unhappy.

In situations such as this the rule of thumb is to start small and work our way up in medications, so you can either see if the AQ salt will help him or transition straight into a general cure medications (both can be used at once AS LONG as the medication states it is for both freshwater and saltwater fish)- these are geared to cure many things at once such as ich, fungals and otherwise. I personally use a brand called blue planet but I am unsure if this ships in the US, choose a brand you trust.

If at any point you can get him to flare (as unlikely as you say this may be since he appears so timid) keep a good look out for anything hanging onto his gills or beard which may mean he has gill flukes.

Now as to making him eat, it is possible to tempt him with crushed pellets or smaller meals with luck, this requires less chewing overall. You can also swap to a soft small food such as frozen daphnisa (water fleas) which are small and relatively soft. You can also try crushing/cutting his regular pellets and soaking them in garlic juice, hopefully it will tempt him into having a bite or two.

Keep us posted, hopefully it clears up very soon.

EDITED AS YOUR POST APPEARED AS I HIT ENTER= triple sulfur is the stronger antifungal that a general cure would have achieved, if you wish to use this right away and skip the first antigungals then this is your choice (and honestly has no lasting downsides, unlike overadministering antibiotics)
Out of those two use the sulfur medications first, if no change, you can then move on to the tetracycline

Last edited by Taeanna; 06-13-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote