Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 PM   #1 
JD3P

Another female betta ?

Hey, I have a ten gallon with is currently home to a female betta, and a feeder fish, which grew to about six inches. Would it be a bad idea to get another female or two and put them in the tank together, or should I just leave them be? I figured I'd put another hiding place in there and a few more plants if I did.
JD3P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #2 
Alex09

Bad idea. Female bettas are aggressive and need to be kept in larger groups or alone. if you only have two in there chances are that one will bully the other to death. You happen to know what kind of fish the feeder fish is? Depending on what it is you may still be able to add some cories or other kind of fish. But if its a goldfish then no way, those things are ammonia machines.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #3 
JD3P

Thanks, I won't be getting another female. And yup he's a goldfish, he's one of these guys, but much larger:

Name:  Goldfish2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  7.3 KB

My mom also wants to get some neon tetras to put in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Bad idea. Female bettas are aggressive and need to be kept in larger groups or alone. if you only have two in there chances are that one will bully the other to death. You happen to know what kind of fish the feeder fish is? Depending on what it is you may still be able to add some cories or other kind of fish. But if its a goldfish then no way, those things are ammonia machines.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Goldfish and bettas are two different worlds of fish. Goldfish are coldwater and Bettas are tropical. Do you have a heater in your tank for the betta? Neon tetras are also tropical and need a heater to keep the tank at 78-82F. If you want to have neons in your tank, grab an aquariam heater and put the goldfish in its own preferably larger tank :) My betta gets along nicely with my neon tetras.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #5 
Duncan13

I don't think that the goldfish is a good idea. Goldfish are huge waste producers, so you would need a strong filter to maintain good water quality. Also, goldfish are fast swimmers and could disturb your female.
Duncan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 AM   #6 
jmtriro01

i agree with Duncan.
jmtriro01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #7 
JD3P

Well I've had the goldfish for two and a half years now, and it's been with my one female betta for about six months. They both are doing fine so far, and my filter is actually keeping the water crystal clear all this time. I wouldn't even consider a second goldfish though, they grow huge and like you said produce too much waste. I'm not going to get another female either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan13 View Post
I don't think that the goldfish is a good idea. Goldfish are huge waste producers, so you would need a strong filter to maintain good water quality. Also, goldfish are fast swimmers and could disturb your female.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #8 
JD3P

Thanks, I might just do that =]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Goldfish and bettas are two different worlds of fish. Goldfish are coldwater and Bettas are tropical. Do you have a heater in your tank for the betta? Neon tetras are also tropical and need a heater to keep the tank at 78-82F. If you want to have neons in your tank, grab an aquariam heater and put the goldfish in its own preferably larger tank :) My betta gets along nicely with my neon tetras.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #9 
Adastra

Unfortunately, the feeder fish you've posted is a common goldfish. Common goldfish get extremely large and have very different water requirements from tropical fish. They are coldwater animals, so they are adapted to an oxygen rich environment without much exposure to heat. Warmer water puts a lot of strain on their systems, and cannot hold as much oxygen as cold water can, so they have trouble getting enough oxygen.

The best thing for you to do with this fish temporarily will be to get a large tank or sterilite/rubbermaid plastic storage bin. They make huge ones for very little money. Stack one inside the other so the sides don't bow out and get the largest filter you can for it. Ideally, for a goldfish, you want a filter that has a gph that is 10x the gallonage of the tank. For instance, if the tank is 30G, you want a 300gph filter.

This is only a temporary fix. The reality of the situation is that common goldfish are not suited to live in aquariums--they are pond fish. They get way too large to be practical in someone's home, and they're extremely social animals that shouldn't live life of isolation. At some point, hopefully sooner than later, you are going to have to find someone with a pond for the fish to live in along with other common goldfish. I suggest posting an ad on your local craigslist or looking for a local aquarium society or club--many will allow you to post on their forums and attend meetings without ever paying dues.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote