Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #1 
TaylorW

Persistant, Reappearing Bump

So for a few months, my betta has had a bump in the same place on his head. The strange part is, whenever I used to treat it with aquarium salt, it would disappear, then come back in a few days. Now it's getting bigger, and not disappearing at all.

I've tried aquarium salt, epsom salt baths, and upping my water changes/trying to improve my water quality, but nothing seems to work. I've even tried adding extra stress coat, and nothing helps.

The bump is right where his operculum/gill cover attaches to the top of his head, and when he flares it seems to almost be on the membrane that attaches the gill to his head.

It looks like a small pump knot, like someone hit him in the head, and it has a lighter coloring to it than the rest of his scales. I've posted about this knot before, but it hasn't been getting better, so I'm worried.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta pellets, Wardley betta pellets, occasional freeze dried bloodworm.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2-3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: Never tested my water
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Strange bump on head.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 months ago? He's had it for a long time.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had ick when I first got him.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe 6-8 months or more? He was an older one in the store.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #2 
baylee767

Can you post some pics? I'll probably not know what it is but if you post some pics someone who is expirienced in this kind of thing will know what it is.
baylee767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #3 
TaylorW

I can in the morning, my fish keeps swimming away and I think I just woke my roommate up trying to get a pic... oops

Awkward... I hope she doesn't ask me what I was doing in the morning... "I was trying to get a picture of a bump on my fish's head!"

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-11-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #4 
TaylorW

Victor has now come to view the camera as a dreaded mortal enemy. He actually attacks the camera more aggressively than he does a mirror! I honestly might just have to take a video since he won't stay still for the camera.

And........batteries just died :(

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-12-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Google Lymphocystis and see if this fits....

If he is acting fine and showing no other symptom I wouldn't worry too much about it...over treating for the unknown can sometimes cause other problems..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #6 
TaylorW

Wow, that's really interesting Oldfishlady! I will keep an eye on it and watch in case it is Lymphocystis. I honestly think it has something to do with my tap water, because it goes away when I bring him home from college.

Before I left I filled 40% of the tank with bottled water/Brita pitcher water and mixed that with the tap to see if that makes a difference.

It's just so frustrating and worrisome that this bump won't go away! Thank you for your help though, I GREATLY appreciate it! :)

Last edited by TaylorW; 11-12-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Hmm, it says it can be mistaken for Ich, and Victor had ich.... Hmm, I will definitely keep an eye on him!