Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #1 
Alex09

Betta Swimming Erratically - PLEASE HELP!

So I have had my new betta Tyrion for a few weeks now. Today I noticed that he was swimming rather erratically. I also noticed that i forgot to plug in the heater after doing a water change yesterday so he spent almost 24 hrs in the high 60's/ low 70's (*F) water. I never noticed yesterday because after doing the water change (in the morning) I spent the rest of the day with a friend and didnt come back until late at night. I dont know if its because of this or something else but his fins are clamped, he's a bit bloated, and sometimes when he's swimming arorund he'll just flip and start thrashing around!!! He doesnt do this in the gravel or the decor; only in open areas, plants, and corners. I have included a link to a video where you see this. It happens about ~1:30 minutes (75%) into the vid. Im really worried! HELP!

VIDEO

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 3 cories

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 5-6 pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator + Plant food

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I noticed he's a bit bloated
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's a bit less active. Still swims around though
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Unknown

Last edited by Alex09; 11-06-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 
bettablue

well im no expert but it looks like she's scratching herself on the plants.. my guppies do tat sometimes too but they never have been sick... maybe try some salt?
bettablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #3 
bloo97

If they are scratching themselves, then they may have an external infection or Ich. Have you noticed anything on their scales or fins?

That's really all I can do as far as help goes from bloo. ):
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

How are the cory cats acting?

I would make a 50% water only change and see if that helps-if not, I would QT and start making some daily water changes, hold food for a couple of days and monitor-if the bloat and behavior continues- you may want to do an Epsom salt 1tsp/gal leave in treatment along with 100% daily water changes for 10 days
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #5 
Alex09

Cory cats are acting very much normal. Tyrion is a bit less bloated today but he has stress stripes and acting lethargic. He just sits on the bottom breathing heavily :( I will do a 50% water change ASAP. Tomorrow I can go to the store, buy some salt, and QT him. I noticed that he has a few scales missing on one side of his body - a bit above/behind the gills. This is the side he always seems to scratch. Or do you think I should QT him right now before he does anymore damage to himself?
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

It is always a good idea to QT when you see your fish behavior change when you have other fish in the tank....for safety of both fish......IMO/E
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #7 
Alex09

Just finished doing a 75%WC. Will QT now. For a salt treatment (which will have to wait for tomorrow as I don't have my car today) should I use epsom salt or aquarium salt? And how much?
EDIT: nvm Just saw your first post!

Last edited by Alex09; 11-07-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #8 
Alex09

UPDATE
Placed him in a dixie plastic container with some holes on the lid. Put that in the main tank for warmth. I got my parents to buy me epsom salt when they went out shopping. Its been a few hours but he's already looking better. His fins are no longer clamped, and he's stopped thrashing around. Still has the stress stripes though. I can also see some poo at the bottom of his QT. Thats good right? It's white and stringy.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #9 
Colibri

I'm sure the bloating and the clamped fins were because of the cold water. Imagine you're always living very happy at the beach, and then suddenly you're moved to the Arctic for a few hours. I'm sure that would be quite a shock for the body, you would have your hands and feet frozen without being capable of feeling or moving them. Back at the beach, you would recover and everything would be as before. :) If he pooped already, I'm sure it's a good sign.
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:20 PM   #10 
acloudconnected

Sounds like things are looking up. Please let us know how it goes...
acloudconnected is offline   Reply With Quote