Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #1 
Vnessa123456

Must Have's for New Betta Tank?

I've just started a new 5gallon betta tank and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what to add so that my new betta will be happy.

Right now I have two small anubius plants and a ball of moss. I've got a black background (the betta will be all white) and black gravel substrate. I don't have a filter baffle, and my filter seems to have a very strong current. (I tried making my own out of a plastic bottle and failed miserably. I think the water level is too high for that.)

I have been searching for some kind of cave for him to hide in, but all of the artificial cave type decorations seem to have sharp or jagged edges. (Just how smooth does the edge have to be in order to be betta safe?)

Any beginner tips would be much appreciated.
Vnessa123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM   #2 
youlovegnats

A heater is a necessity too. Wal-mart has these rainbow colored caves that are perfect for bettas, and like $2.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
Vnessa123456

Oh yeah, I also have a heater. It is one of those preset ones and can only keep water at 78 degrees. Do you think that's warm enough?

*Edit* Here is a photo of my tank. It is fully cycled and about 6 months old.
Attached Images

Last edited by Vnessa123456; 07-13-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Vnessa123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #4 
youlovegnats

Yeah that's a good temp. :) Also getting some frozen blood worms are a great snack! yum! :)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #5 
Tisia

easiest way to tell if something is too rough is to run some nylon over it and see if it catches
I've sanded down ornaments before, lol
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:28 AM   #6 
bettafish15

Some preset heaters dont actually heat that well, so be sure to moniter the temperature with an aquarium thermometer (2$) to be sure it stays above 77 and no hotter than 82. :) I'd certainly add some more hiding places. Maybe driftwood? Hm...

Oh, also, every betta is different, but he will likely see himself in the reflection on the black background, so just watch for if he's flaring excessively at it :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #7 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by youlovegnats View Post
A heater is a necessity too. Wal-mart has these rainbow colored caves that are perfect for bettas, and like $2.
1.97 and the holes in some might not work for bettas but most will, wal-mart has been the only place to find inexpensive caves, i know my petco didnt have much.

i bought that same heater and it didnt work =/ the light for heating never came on and i waited like 8 hours. i found zoo med has a nice little flat one, and petco sells one like that as well, i like those they can be hidden easy and keep the tanks at a nice temp

Last edited by MaggieLynn; 07-14-2011 at 01:43 AM.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 AM   #8 
PewPewPew

Terra cotta pots (with the hole filled in on the bottom) look cool, get big ones and break them (and then sand them) or half bury them for a cool effect.

Try baffling the filter with sponge (aquarium sponge, not regular sponge) or if you really cant find that, an aquarium scrubbing pad.

You can also jam up the filter's intake with fake plants, slowing the flow considerably. We have the same tank, but different filter, I think.

Also, make sure that you have a thermometer. That heater is a bad brand, notorious for not working! Check that it keeps the tank warm enough. Return it asap if not.

I second the driftwood idea, or get some nice wisteria and place it in the middle like a forest :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #9 
roypattonphoto

i suggest 2 things... 1 a lilly bulb plant, also a Moss Ball, ive got one in both my 10g, not only does my betta and snail's love the dam thing, it helps starve out algae .... (my snail will push the thing around the tank, climb all over it and everything thing else
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:38 AM   #10 
youlovegnats

You can also get 4" sword plants at Pestmart (lol, I meant to type petsmart but the employees can be pests so I'll leave it xD) for about $5 or so. I love the moss balls, but I don't wanna pay $9 for it ><;
The lilly bulbs, as recommended by Roy, and the other bulb plants that wal-mart sells (appo-something or other) also grow very fast and do quite well! :)