Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #1 
Welsh

Got my Plants

Finally I found some Anubias today, now lets just see how long it takes me to murder these with my rubbish lighting system lol

I think I have Anubias Nana and the other says Anubias Congensis, I just don't have a clue where to position them since I don't have any rocks and the driftwood has my Java moss and hopefully Java fern, when I get my hands on some lol.

Will these plants really still grow in shaded areas? I'm quite sceptical about that since my previous history with live plants hasn't been at all good lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #2 
DaEvangelist

From what I've heard of Anubias, they are some of the least demanding plant species in terms of lighting and nutrients. The only warning I know of when you grow them is that the rhizome, the thick part of the root system, must be in open water, not in substrate, or else it may just die off.

Let me know how they are doing for you as I'm thinking of adding Anubias once my Wisterias start thriving.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:15 AM   #3 
Welsh

I'll probably still manage to kill them, undemanding or not haha. Hopefully they will do Ok, cause I quite like them lol and the nana looks great on my driftwood haha
Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 AM   #4 
chavist93

My anubias, java fern, and wysteria are doing great with only a 10 watt light in a 5 gallon hex.
chavist93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #5 
Welsh

I had wisteria with a 9 watt bulb and it thrived at first and grew really quick but then the leaves started to turn black and fizzle lol so had to throw it, I really liked that plant though so might try it again under my 15watt
Old 11-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
I had wisteria with a 9 watt bulb and it thrived at first and grew really quick but then the leaves started to turn black and fizzle lol so had to throw it, I really liked that plant though so might try it again under my 15watt
Oh geez - I have wisteria with a 9 watt CF bulb and it it doing great so far. I have it floating, though, and not planted so it is closer to the light. Maybe that helps?

I started a threat with a question about it, but nobody has answered. Maybe you can tell me. Some of the wisteria is growing up & OUT of the water. Ok to leave it like that or should I be doing something with those stems?
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #7 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Oh geez - I have wisteria with a 9 watt CF bulb and it it doing great so far. I have it floating, though, and not planted so it is closer to the light. Maybe that helps?

I started a threat with a question about it, but nobody has answered. Maybe you can tell me. Some of the wisteria is growing up & OUT of the water. Ok to leave it like that or should I be doing something with those stems?

When I first had it I let it float and it really took off and even when i buried it, it was still thriving but then it just died :(

You started a threat with a question about it? I think this maybe the reason why you have had no replies haha

Anyway, Wisteria can grow partly out of water, so you can trim it down or just leave it. You may want to keep an eye on it though just encase the light burns the leaves or something, but you should wait for someone with better experience, cause I can't seem to keep the bloody plants alive haha
Old 11-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #8 
Hadouken441

they are turning black because lack of nutriets. nothing to do with light.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #9 
Hadouken441

and the difference between 9 watt to 15 watt Florscent is nothing. Still buts out the same lumens. You want the corrent color temperature though. 6500 Kelvin.

Add some Seachem Flourish. You can find a bottle at Petsmart for like $10. Its a good beginner fertilizer
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:00 PM   #10 
Welsh

Yeah I got that stuff and they still didnt survive lol