Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #221 
tsoto80

ok I been looking everywhere for some Disney Princess curtains for my daughter's room and I cant' find any that I am satisfied with (I am very very picky), so I just thought well why dont I just buy the fabric and make it myself. It seems simple enough and I like the tops of the other curtains where there is a ribbon where the rod goes through. Anyways do you think a complete novice like me can make one, and also does anyone have any suggestions or tips?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 PM   #222 
AngelicScars

I think it depends on how comfortable you are with your machine. I can sew, but I really don't like it and I'm not very good (even though I've sewn plenty of things).
I think as long as you can get the measurements spot on, then you'll do fine though. Good luck and post the results!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #223 
tsoto80

ok I will post pics and I have never used a sewing machine before. lol my mother in law has....4 of them so Im gonna have her help me. Do I need some kind of backing for it or is plain ol fabric fine?
tsoto80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #224 
Arashi Takamine

I think it depends on how thick you want them to be. I've never sewed curtians before so I'm a little useless on that topic.

I sewed this for my Obitsu Riven awhile back. This was my first sewing project for a doll his size.

Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #225 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
ok I will post pics and I have never used a sewing machine before. lol my mother in law has....4 of them so Im gonna have her help me. Do I need some kind of backing for it or is plain ol fabric fine?
I think backing it would be good if you want them to be black out curtains. Otherwise, the fabric as is would be fine.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM   #226 
Squidmagician

tsoto80: I've never sewn curtains myself, so I can't really say from experience, but they should be pretty easy. All you really need to do, once you've cut your fabric to the right measurements, is hem the bottom and sides (and if you didn't want to sew the hem, you could use and iron-on hem tape), and then sew on the loops or ties. You could use strips of your fabric or ribbon, but if you go with ribbon make sure you get something like grosgrain that has a bit of texture. Anything that's too smooth won't stay tied as well, and you don't want to be retying your curtains all the time. :)

Arashi: How lovely! I'd love to get a doll like that and sew clothes for it - dress it up like all my favorite characters. :3 That's not one I've seen before... If you don't mind my asking, how expensive was it?

I haven't actually worked on anything crafty lately myself, but here's my latest. These were my first experiment with stamping polymer clay, and I love how they turned out!

Last edited by Squidmagician; 06-28-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Squidmagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #227 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsoto80 View Post
ok I been looking everywhere for some Disney Princess curtains for my daughter's room and I cant' find any that I am satisfied with (I am very very picky), so I just thought well why dont I just buy the fabric and make it myself. It seems simple enough and I like the tops of the other curtains where there is a ribbon where the rod goes through. Anyways do you think a complete novice like me can make one, and also does anyone have any suggestions or tips?
Curtains are pretty simple! basic curtains are really just 2 rectangles of hemmed fabric. You can add ruffles and all sort of things though...Just depends on how complicated you wanna get.
Here is a neat blog with photos:
http://www.adventuresindressmaking.c...-tutorial.html
http://sweetmintstudios.blogspot.com...-tutorial.html
http://latebloomercrafts.blogspot.co...-tutorial.html
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #228 
AngelicScars

Cat in the Hat hat! I'm making 8 for my son's 3rd b-day this coming Sat.

Old 07-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #229 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very cute! I bet they'll look cute on the kids.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #230 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmagician View Post
Arashi: How lovely! I'd love to get a doll like that and sew clothes for it - dress it up like all my favorite characters. :3 That's not one I've seen before... If you don't mind my asking, how expensive was it?

I haven't actually worked on anything crafty lately myself, but here's my latest. These were my first experiment with stamping polymer clay, and I love how they turned out!
Thanks! Before shipping it was 34.98 with 7 dollars for shipping so it totals to 41.98 it's a bit expensive but definietly worth it. I got him off a site called the Junkyspot that has all things Obitsu and other doll companies like Jun Planning/Groove Inc and Hujoo.

@AngelicScars - Wow! That looks so cool!
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote