Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #1 
Rain Drop

Tumour? D:

This is not cool. Caesar has what I suspect to be a tumour on his side (I noticed this about a month or so ago and its gotten slowly bigger). It's between his pectoral fin and where his swim bladder should be on the left side of him. His scales poke out a little where the growth is too, so I think it's internal. It seems like his has a little bump on the other side of him, in the same spot, but it's not as nearly as big.

So what can I do guys? Is it really a tumour? He has a little trouble swimming (eg. swimming on a angle somewhat, floating a little off balance), but otherwise he's still trying to eat and making it for air. He'll rest more often on his leaf near the surface too....
Should I just make him as comfortable as can be? I suppose there's not much I can do anyways :c

Here's a pic (sorry for the giant size!)
Attached Images

Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #2 
Rain Drop

Any comments at all?
Experience to share??
Old 11-08-2010, 02:43 PM   #3 
vaygirl

Any chance you could get clearer pics? And answer the questions in the sticky at the top? If it is a tumor there isn't much to be done. Make sure his water level is low enough to allow him easy access to the top or that there's something close to the surface for him to rest on (ie, a plant or the top of a heater). It's possible the growth is putting pressure on his swim bladder and causing the unsteadiness.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #4 
Rain Drop

No I can't sorry. My camera is very dead and I have no more batteries in the house :c
You can still sort of see the outline on his left side....and I can tell you it's not weirdly shaped or discoloured.
It's just like something is swelling inside and is poking through under his skin.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.25 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78-80F
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardleys Essentials betta pellets and freeze-dried blood worms for treats.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times a day, 3 pellets at a time.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% weekly for sure and sometimes a 50% as well.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafun Aqua+ conditioner and sometimes aquarium salt for rips.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A bump that seems internal.
It comes through his left side between his pectoral fin and swim bladder.
NO discolouration. Scales do poke out a little where the bump is present, as if whatever is inside is pushing them out.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Less active, stays on his leaf at the surface most parts of the day. Swims wobbly.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The bump came about a month ago. The wobbly swimming and lethargy came about a week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? n/a
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Only torn fins.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Lets say 2 years, since I got him full grown a 1.5 years ago.

I must also comment that my other two fish receive the same treatment and nearly the same environment,
but they have shown no symptoms for anything.

And thank-you Vaygirl for your input c:

Last edited by Rain Drop; 11-08-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

If it is a tumor, as posted not a lot you can do but make him comfy-I would change the aquarium salt to Epsom salt 1tsp/gal however, this will help more for his symptoms and swimming problems by reducing any edema/relieve pressure to a degree-it may or may not help but it won't hurt and a better choice than aquarium salt in my experience/opinion.......
keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #6 
Rain Drop

Okay, I'll try that tonight when I do a water change.
Thank-you for the info c: