Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #1 
lilbloofish

Questions

I am cycling my 10 gallon and i am going to make a sorority. I have had my current female betta for about 10 months and she has grown quite a lot. I have recently been to my local pet stores and seen the female bettas, they all look very very tiny. I was wondering if i should keep them in a temporary tank until they get bigger so my older female does not pick on them or kill them.?

Also i have been using Seachem Prime as a water conditioner and i tested my water after doing a 100% water change and the test shows that i have some ammonia in the tank (really light green). I am thinking that this is bad for my fish and am wondering what water conditioner will remove all ammonia?
lilbloofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #2 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbloofish View Post
I am cycling my 10 gallon and i am going to make a sorority. I have had my current female betta for about 10 months and she has grown quite a lot. I have recently been to my local pet stores and seen the female bettas, they all look very very tiny. I was wondering if i should keep them in a temporary tank until they get bigger so my older female does not pick on them or kill them.?

Also i have been using Seachem Prime as a water conditioner and i tested my water after doing a 100% water change and the test shows that i have some ammonia in the tank (really light green). I am thinking that this is bad for my fish and am wondering what water conditioner will remove all ammonia?
For a tank that small I wouldn't put more than maybe 3 females in there and that is pushing it. I learned the hard way, all my females were living together for nearly a 8 months and then just a few weeks ago I lost 5 in a week. I won't be starting another one, thats for sure lol.

Your cycling your tank and your getting ammonia? That's a good thing. When your tank is completed the cycle, you will get a reading of

Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm or lower

You shouldn't be doing water changes during the cycling process as it slows it down, after the tank is cycled you can then do a 30% water change.

Are you doing a fishless cycle?

If so then you really don't need to be adding the prime until you add the fish

Hope I helped some what
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #3 
lilbloofish

Sorry i was not clear enough on the second question. I am talking about a 2-3 gallon tank when i do 100% water change with Seachem Prime. I still get an ammonia reading after. Sorry
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #4 
Welsh

No its OK have you tested your tap water? the ammonia your getting could be coming from there.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 
TaylorW

I think sometimes test strips can read wrong? I've heard that liquid test kits work better.
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #6 
lilbloofish

I am using the API liquid test kit. I had the same problem with my other water conditioner, then i went and bought some Seachem because i read good things about it and i says it removes 1 ppm of ammonia. I have a lot of ammonia in my tap, like 1 ppm O.o
Old 11-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #7 
Welsh

Well that explains why your getting ammonia The reason you are still getting ammonia readings with prime is because this only treats the water for 24 hours. Is the tank cycled? if so then it should be able to remove the ammonia pretty quickly.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #8 
lilbloofish

It is not cycled...... So what should i do? Is there a conditioner that removes all ammonia? Should i only be using prime if it is a cycled tank?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #9 
Welsh

In a well cycled tank you wouldn't have to keep doing the daily water changes, the ammonia will the convert to nitrites then nitrate and the biofilter will get rid of the ammonia.

I think thats right, someone else could correct me if I'm wrong

If you really want to get rid of the ammonia completely then you could use distilled water but that can get too pricey.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #10 
lilbloofish

ok thanks