Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #1 
BettaMan

Upgrading!

Hey guys, as you know Christmas is coming up soon and I think I want to upgrade Fusion to a bigger tank. I found this 5.5 gal that looked pretty nice. http://www.geekbro.com/index.cfm/p/v...rce=GoogleBase

Here is the other stuff I have in my cart to order:

Seachem Prime

API Master Freshwater Test Kit

API Aquarium Salt

Coralife Digital Thermometer

Hydor 25 Watt Theo Heater (Do I need the 50 watt?)

Tetra Whisper 10i In-Tank Filter

I also have gravel, a cave for Fusion to hide in, 2 plants, and New Life Spectrum Pellets.

I think I covered everything I need for my new tank. If not, please tell me what I missed or maybe recommend a different product.

I'm going to cycle the tank before I put Fusion in it. From my understanding all I need to do is tie up some shrimp (what kind of shrimp should I use? From a local fish market?) in a pantyhose and let it sit there until my ammonia and nitrite are 0 and my nitrate is below 20ppm for several consecutive days. I know I need to change the water while I'm doing this but I'm not sure how often or how much water to change.
Correct?
Should I use the Seachem Prime every time I make a water change while cycling my tank?

Also, what kind of filter media should I use? I was thinking carbon. How often should I change the carbon? What carbon would you recommend?

I want to put some live plants into my tank. I know nothing about this so any info would be great. Will putting live plants into my tank effect the cycling process?

I think that's everything.

Thank you for reading!
BettaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #2 
lilbloofish

All the questions i can answer:
-25 watt heater is good
-i would not recommend doing water changes WHILE you are cycling, it slows the process. But when you do water changes AFTER it is cycled then use the water conditioner every time
-any filter media is fine, if you use carbon then change it every month because it is toxic later (Carbon is not necessary though)

Everything looks fine
lilbloofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #3 
Welsh

From my understanding all I need to do is tie up some shrimp (what kind of shrimp should I use? From a local fish market?)

Yes just ordinary shrimp that you buy from the stores or markets. You could even use a piece of fish. I used mussle meat when I did my cycle. One would be enough for the cycle. Also, to help the cycle you could use old filter media, decorations and gravel from an old already estabilished tank, if you have one.

In a pantyhose and let it sit there until my ammonia and nitrite are 0 and my nitrate is below 20ppm for several consecutive days.

You don't have to use pantyhose its just easier to take the shrimp out of the tank and won't make a huge mess.

I know I need to change the water while I'm doing this but I'm not sure how often or how much water to change.

When cycling you don't need to change the water, just let the tank cycle. When it's complete you can then change about 30% of the water.

Should I use the Seachem Prime every time I make a water change while cycling my tank?

Unless you have fish or plants in the tank when cycling, then you don't need to use this just yet.

Also, what kind of filter media should I use? I was thinking carbon. How often should I change the carbon? What carbon would you recommend?

Most filters that I have used come with the carbon already. I'm not too sure about this stuff, I personally don't like it but I'm sure someone else can help you with this. When the carbon runs out, it will turn your water a slight yellow, this is when you need to change it.

I want to put some live plants into my tank. I know nothing about this so any info would be great. Will putting live plants into my tank effect the cycling process?

Adding plants when cycling will help the process by adding bacteria, if you do make sure the plants are hardy like anubias or java fern because I'm not sure if the cycle will damage the plants. Again I'm sure someone else can help you

The 25W heater will be perfect for your size tank. I use a 25w heater in my 8 US gallon tank and it stays a consistant 80F
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:26 AM   #4 
BettaMan

Thank you guys so much!
Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #5 
BettaMan

One more more things. Should I get the Tetra 3i rather than the 10i because of the lower power resulting in lower water flow?
Old 11-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #6 
Welsh

I'm not familiar with those filters but a nice steady water flow is better for the betta
Old 11-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #7 
CrankyFish84

Yes that 25W heater you picked has some reviews on Amazon saying it's toasty for up to 7-8G's, so you should be fine. I bought the same one for my 8G.

Also, I used the shrimp method in a 3G and it worked like a charm! The ammonia got really high two times, then leveled out, and all parameters
were perfect, it took me about 3 weeks I believe. I also had a live plant in it, a Ruben Sword, not sure if that had a huge impact.

Last edited by CrankyFish84; 11-07-2010 at 12:11 PM.
CrankyFish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 PM   #8 
BettaMan

Could you recommend another filter? I looked around and they actually got pretty bad reviews.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #9 
Welsh

Stingray 5, the current is pretty harsh but if you twist the nozzle to face the glass then theres nothing wrong with it
Old 11-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #10 
TaylorW

Wow, what a nice tank!! Your fishy is going to be so spoiled!! :)
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote