Betta Fish Forum banner

50 W Heater for 3 Gallon Betta Tank?

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Niece 
#1 ·
Hello :)

I wanted to get a heater for my Betta but his tank is a 3 gallon one and the least wattage of heater I can get where I stay in is a 50 Watt fully submersible one. So my question is will the 50 W heater be okay for a small 3 gallon tank? I would like the water temperature to stay around the 28 degree C mark in the 2-3 months of winter we have here in Kolkata, India. Rest of the year it's nice and warm.

Please shed some light so I can buy the 50 W heater if it'll work well with my 3 gallon tank.

TIA

#2 ·
I'm not sure if it will or not. 50watts is a lot for a tank that size. 25 would be more ideal, have you tried ordering over the internet? If thats all you can get then you could try the 50 watt, just make sure its an adjustable one, otherwise your going to fry your betta lol

#4 ·
That's the part I'm worried about, frying my Betta accidentally! The 50 W heater I'm talking about does come with a thermostat and is adjustable (chinese made from a company called SOBO). Should I try it or will the Betta be fine without the heating?

#6 ·
^^ I wish I could get that 10 watt heater from Petsmart but I'm from India so can't be shipped here. Looks like I'm going to have to change the tank to a 10 gallon one so I could get a nice 50W heater then, only way out for me. :-(

#14 ·
I was looking at a 50 watt aqueon in the fish store (they didn't have 25 watt). I have a 2 gallon and he recommended the 25 watt, said the 50 may be too much. I have no knowledge of this topic myself, only what he told me. I figure he was giving me his honest opinion because he had no 25 watts so he lost a sale.

#15 ·
I use a 25 w in a 3 gallon and it's great, but if you didn't want to take that one back I say try it on the lowest sitting preferably in another tank so you can monitor the temp without being worried about your betta. It might just work only keep it on a low setting. Idk though I've never used anything above 25 for that size tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.