Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #1 
Ravenlyn6996

Smile New Beta Owner!

Hello everyone this is officially my first beta. I had them as kids but we all know pets as kids we dont really take care of...as in cleaning of tanks etc. Yeah I fed him but nothing as hands on now that Im older! Im very excited. Originally bought a small bowl but decided he had enough of small bowls and bought him a 2.5 gallon tank with filtration, lid and lamp. Im am new though so not sure what all need to know. I have done some research know about what temp the water needs to be etc. Bought a heater for him thats preset for 2 gallon - 15 gallon tanks. Noticed his bowl was really cold and I had already set up his other tank waiting to transfer him but went ahead and started the process was afraid id lose him.
I havent named him yet. And also wanted to know if betta's needed an air pump? I bought one just incase(it didnt come with the tank) if he doesnt Ill just take it back. I also havent named him yet. Im up for any helpers, lol. But anyhoo Ill quit rambling and post some pics of him and of his new tank.

Tank

Fishy!

Ravenlyn6996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #2 
Comatose

Awww what a cute betta.
Comatose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

Nice fish! He looks kinda stressed but he'll get used to his new enviorment soon and he'll probably blow a nest...or two....or three.....well um yeah you get the point :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #4 
Fawnleaf

Super cute!! :D I'm not great with names, but oh well. I love his colors!!!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #5 
Ravenlyn6996

Yeah might name him Kane, lol. But yeah he is a cutie! And hes better now those pictures were taken when he was still in the small bowl I originally bought for him. In his new home hes been swimming around checking everything out and at one point was staring at me when I was watching him making sure he was ok it was adorable.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #6 
Fawnleaf

Oh, by the way, I saw you have a betta hammock!! I think they're so cute, and I'm training Casanova to use his new one, and he's already slept on it twice, at least when I was there! ADORABLE! But what I was going to say was you could move it up if you wanted. Casanova likes it best about 3/4 inches from the surface. Does Kane use it at all??
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:56 AM   #7 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Congrats! I had a betta that looked a lot like him. He'll love his new home I am sure, more room to explore!
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #8 
Ravenlyn6996

Thanks everyone! Hes adorable! So I take it betta's dont need the bubblies in their tank in order to breathe? And also I just transferred him(for the second time) into his new tank a couple days ago and it seems like the water is already getting dirty. Thought it was a bit odd since it has a filter and its literally only been 2 days. Hes also discovered his skull, lol. And he pretty much hides in his skull all day. He came out once today to chase his reflection up and down for a bit then went back in his skull....is this normal? Also I couldnt feed him today because he stayed in his skull all day tried to feed him when he came out for a bit but he ate one then I think he spit it back out and ignored the others. Can someone give me the run down of stuff I NEED for this betta. Im freaking out Im doing something wrong and hes not gonna make it. PLease someone let me know.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #9 
Ravenlyn6996

Oh also I leave the light on pretty much ALL the time. Is this a bad idea? I just thought maybe that has something to do with it. Im gonna go turn it off for a bit.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #10 
Moldau

You are correct that bettas don't need aeration in their tanks. You are also right that the light shouldn't be on all the time. They need night/day cycles, so light all the time isn't good. Too much light also causes excess algae growth. As for him hiding all the time, he might like it if there were some silk or real plants to provide some cover. He might feel more comfortable coming out of his hiding place then. The only other thing I can think of is that you should make sure to carefully monitor the temperature. I've read that preset heaters often aren't reliable.

Anyway, congratulations on your new betta! It seems like you're being very thoughtful and trying to take good care of him!

Last edited by Moldau; 11-08-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new fish, new fish aquarium newbie, new owner