Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #1 
FishyFriend1

I don't know anything about the aquarium cycle!!!

So, as much research i have done about the aquarium cycle, i don't get how it works and why?

They say you can cycle the aquarium once the fish in in there, how?
Will it hurt the fish if i don't cycle the water?

Also i have a test kit and every time i change the water the nitrites and everything(pH, nitrate, chlorine hardness, alkanity,) always is safe or just right for my betta.

Last edited by FishyFriend1; 11-07-2010 at 12:16 PM.
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 PM   #2 
TaylorW

Here you go, read this if you haven't already :)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

The nitrogen cycle- two bacteria at work-one convert ammonia to nitrite and another one converts nitrite to nitrate-this can take 4-8 weeks and several thing can either speed this process up or slow/hinder the process.

In order for them to do the job they need oxygenated water, surface area to colonize and a food source for the chain of events to happen

These bacteria are sticky and adhere to everything in the tank like the walls, decoration, plants both real and fake, in the top layer of the substrate and on the filter media-very little are in the water column and so water only changes will not slow the cycling process- but over cleaning can by vacuuming the substrate too much/often or changing the filter media or cleaning the filter media in chlorinated water

You can safely cycle a filtered tank with a fish provided that you are willing and able to make the needed water changes to keep the livestock safe

With fish in cycle you don't have to have a water testing kit, however, it will make the job much easier and tell you when the cycle is complete-otherwise it is just a guess

You want a test kit to test for: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH

It is also important to understand what the test results mean and what you should do with the numbers you get and how they relate to fish/water health and behavior

Ideally you want your numbers to read: once the nitrogen cycle is complete
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5-10ppm
pH-varies and best if stable-most species will adapt to your source water

It is important to keep the nitrate under 20ppm-high nitrate can also be problematic and a sign of poor husbandry, it can also affect the fish immune response-fish will be fine in high nitrate until you add a new fish or make a large water change/vacuuming causing a sudden drop in nitrate-often with high nitrate you will have a low pH and combined swing of both can be deadly/fatal for the livestock
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #4 
Iziezi

What happens once the cycle is complete?
Iziezi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #5 
FishyFriend1

thanks that explains alot :)
FishyFriend1 is offline   Reply With Quote