Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 10:29 AM   #21 
purplemuffin

They were both from breeders, shih-tzus are generally known for being bad about housebreaking--there are whole books based on just training them! XD You got luucky!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #22 
Betta Slave

Oh, seriously? D: I didn't know that. Wow. We did get lucky XD
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:36 AM   #23 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Shih tzu's scare me because I have seen too many with an eye popped out. literally.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #24 
purplemuffin

Oh yeah, I've seen that with mini poodles :( I saw that HAPPEN with a mini poodle.. UGH
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #25 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

I haven't seen it on a mini poodle.. I did see a mini poodle with it's soft spot on it's skull punctured and open. yuckk.

surgeries were definetly my favorite part of being a vet assistant. =] so yucky but so awesomely cool at the same time.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #26 
purplemuffin

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/ this is a cool website, it has pros and cons of a TON of breeds, pros and cons of mutts(like, with purebreds you get genetic problems..but at least you know what they will be, a mutt you don't know, though they are often hardier)

I like the 'what's good about them, what's bad about them' section! This is good for looking at purebreeds and I've used it to see what qualities my mixed breed dogs could get from their parents! If it looks like it's mostly this dog...it might have most of their traits XD

Last edited by purplemuffin; 11-09-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #27 
doggyhog

What about a Cocker Spaniel? Spaniels are generally great dogs. Although like any dog they need need need to be trained and socialized. Not too big, not too small.

They do need grooming, but it's not much as say a poodle (Trust me, I have had a few poodles!)

Although, I must admit, mutts are some of the BEST dogs!! I pet sit a mutt who is about 20-25 pounds and a sheltie mix. He is such a great dog! Very high energy though..

There's always the added "Hybrid Vigor"! LOL

To be honest I don't think the breed as important as the individual dog itself. Be sure you know what the dog's personality is before you bring it home!

If you are getting if from a breeder, please do your research to find a good breeder.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:23 AM   #28 
vaygirl

I have a basset and they're awesome dogs BUT they need a strong leader or they will run your house. I've heard that they can be hard to train but my Molly is completely housetrained and can stay alone for up to 12 hours with no accidents. I'm home all day though, so she had me watching over her in all her formative years. She knows tricks and will do them on command as long as she sees a cookie in your hand. Lol! She's about 55 lbs. My husband calls her a big dog on a little chassis. She LOVES to play. She is a playing fool! I never had a dog that had me laughing as much as she does. She IS stubborn, which is why she needs strong, no nonsense guidance. With any dog you have to just go at it like this: This is what I want and you will do it. Patience, consistency and calm is the key.

I think you should look at a shelter too! There are SO many good dogs looking for a forever home. But anyway, there's my basset run-down.

I do suggest that you find a dog at a shelter
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #29 
purplemuffin

Yeah, I say it would be good to get from a shelter, or at least one of the rescues that gets their dogs from shelters(taking in the ones that would otherwise be killed!)
Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #30 
nochoramet

My personal recommendation would be a shelter puppy or rescue puppy, like everyone else has suggested.
Purebreds, I personally adore beagles. Pros: Sweet, smart, not much grooming, and very kid-friendly, medium sized. Cons: Can be stubborn because they're hounds so they just want to hunt, sheds, yodels. Poodles are great dogs too but they require a lot of grooming. My boyfriend has 3 toy poodles and I swear they are the sweetest dogs ever! And they shed very little. They're smart too!
Fiona might be expecting by Lodee so I might be getting one YAY!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote