Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #31 
ThePearlFish

I agree that shih-tzus are great little dogs, Don't know about housebreaking but they do need regular grooming.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #32 
CodeRed

I gotta love Aussie Shepherds. They can be a bit nippy, though, and shy or nervous with strangers. Very companionable, though, and love to be around people. Plus, they're ADORABLE. They're herding dogs so they need a lot of exercise, both mental and physical. They shed a lot because of their longer fur, but I haven't seen that they're bad droolers.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #33 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggyhog View Post
What about a Cocker Spaniel? Spaniels are generally great dogs. Although like any dog they need need need to be trained and socialized. Not too big, not too small.

They do need grooming, but it's not much as say a poodle (Trust me, I have had a few poodles!)

Although, I must admit, mutts are some of the BEST dogs!! I pet sit a mutt who is about 20-25 pounds and a sheltie mix. He is such a great dog! Very high energy though..

There's always the added "Hybrid Vigor"! LOL

To be honest I don't think the breed as important as the individual dog itself. Be sure you know what the dog's personality is before you bring it home!

If you are getting if from a breeder, please do your research to find a good breeder.
I completely agree with that. I mostly dislike little dogs, but there have been a certain few that I absolutely loved. It's really the individual, though some breeds can have a tendency to be more "likable" than others.If you adopt, it's best to adopt from a rescue that fosters their dogs (like I said earlier) because they will know the individual dog. Our mutt/mix (I call him a mix because we know what he is) is the sweetest dog! He really can sense your emotions and he can tell when someone's afraid of him. He (Conrad is his name) is on the right in this picture and our girl (Abby) is on the left...
Name:  100_1509.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  104.6 KB

Here's him again, on my lap a long time ago (no, those aren't my shoes lol)...
Name:  Copy (2) of 100_1653.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  113.6 KB

Here's Abby:
Name:  Copy of abby+ball on ground 2009.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  122.2 KB

sorry for the rather large pics.
They are amazing dogs. Anyway, I'd say just look around for rescues, breeders etc near you to find your perfect dog. You might get the one you would never have though you would. Oh, and petfinder.com is a good place to find adoptable dogs in your area too.
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #34 
Cassandra90

You should go to your local pet shelter and adopt a pet there. Save a life.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #35 
ThePearlFish

cockers can be pretty bitey if they are not well bred. I have known many nice ones but also have heard pretty bad stories of them too, they are not always the best dogs around children
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

I petsit for a cocker spaniel. Mackenzie is a sweet dog but he has his little quirks. He doesn't like loud noises and can be hard to walk sometimes because of it. . He doesn't like trucks either. He'll bark at strangers but is friendly to people he knows. I had another neighbor who had 2 shih tzus. They were the most stubborn dogs I've ever dealt with. One of them was very friendly and a sweetheart but the other one was rather aloof. If they didn't want to walk there was no way I could get them to walk.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #37 
frogipoi

Yes, I am rescuing two pups. One for me, and one for Aidan, my brother.
I am an experienced dog owner :p especially medium-big dogs. I have 4-5 on my list:
Cocker Spaniel
Australian Shepherd
Papillon (sorry for the spelling)
Border Collie/ Collie / Bearded Collie
Shih Zhu

BUT I don't like small dog.... cause I have another dog, Simba my mutt, (he is about 3 feet tall) and he gets protective of our house....

Last edited by frogipoi; 11-14-2010 at 07:02 AM.
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:41 AM   #38 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Oh sorry, I didnt see you post before you didnt enjoy small dogs or I would have mentioned bigger breeds.
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #39 
dramaqueen
Banned

How about a Great Dane? lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #40 
purplemuffin

Honestly my top favorite dog in the world is a Siberian Husky, mine just passed away...Miss him so bad. They are the sweetest dogs, and they are more likely going to sing to you than just "bark" traditionally! They are strong dogs, but a well trained husky is adorable and wonderful
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote