Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #1 
Panthera

Adamu Got an Upgrade!

My new Delta Adamu got an upgrade to his 5.5 gallon tank today ;) My mom did a writing job and got a bonus, so she lent me some money to spend on on him. I went to walmart since all the other Pet Stores were closed, and really splurged and spent about $75 dollars on a new heater, filter, cave, plants, siphon and a PH kit.

The heater is great and is submersible so I can finally close the lid lol, but the filter was WAY too strong, it had Adamu swimming sideways as he fought against the current. Thankfully I realized this just seconds after I installed it, so I guess I'll return it tomorrow. What type of filter should I get though? I heard a sponge filter or a corner filter worked for Betta's, but would Petco have those? Also does any store sell submersible lights? I don't have a hood so I can't get the iridescent ones. Anyway here are some pics of Adamu's new home, and of him ;)

He's a handsome fella isn't he? So what do you guys think, did I do a good job? Much better than a 1/2 gallon tank with a fake plant and gravel, at least that's true xD Btw I for the life of me could not figure out how to get that frickin siphon to work - -" Tips anyone?
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #2 
TayHudson

I have aqua clear filters in both of my tanks that have a bettas in.
The current isn't too strong, but they are both in tanks bigger than 5.5g [20 & 10] So they have enough room to avoid the flow.
But since you have a small tank I would recommend a sponge filter or one of these maybe : http://www.petco.com/product/12147/P...FishFC_Filters

What kind of lid do you have?
I tried looking online to find a hood/light combo to show you for a 5.5 but I couldn't find one.
If you can find one tho to fit that size tank I would get one.
The size upgrade is great!! :) :)
But I would remove maybe 1 or 2 plants, IMO.
And make sure none of them are pointy enough to tear his beautiful fins.
One thing I got that both my bettas love, is the Betta Log.
He is a beauty tho :) :) :)
I bet he's enjoying having some more space.
What kind of siphon did you get??
Siphoning a tank that small might be hard.
TayHudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:27 AM   #3 
LikeDiscoSuperfly

Awwe I bet he LOVES that! <3

He is super gorgeous. =]
LikeDiscoSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:56 AM   #4 
dragonfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
The heater is great and is submersible so I can finally close the lid lol, but the filter was WAY too strong, it had Adamu swimming sideways as he fought against the current. Thankfully I realized this just seconds after I installed it, so I guess I'll return it tomorrow. What type of filter should I get though? I heard a sponge filter or a corner filter worked for Betta's, but would Petco have those?
Nice setup! He looks happy. You can save yourself the trouble of returning the filter if you baffle it. There is a sticky thread in here somewhere with instructions for a simple plastic water bottle baffle. You can also rubber band an aquarium sponge to the outflow to baffle it. I use both the bottle and the sponge together in my 10 gallon because my filter is not adjustable.
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #5 
Panthera

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfair View Post
Nice setup! He looks happy. You can save yourself the trouble of returning the filter if you baffle it. There is a sticky thread in here somewhere with instructions for a simple plastic water bottle baffle. You can also rubber band an aquarium sponge to the outflow to baffle it. I use both the bottle and the sponge together in my 10 gallon because my filter is not adjustable.
Thanks! I didn't have an aquarium sponge or a water bottle, but I did look up some other options and I used a sock xD IT works great! But is it safe? It looks pretty ugly, but It'll have to do until I get a sponge tomorrow lol Thanks a lot!
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #6 
DaEvangelist

One problem with the sock is if you had not rinsed it out thoroughly before using it as a baffler. There may be traces of detergent/softener on the sock if you used those items when washing it before. Just try to get your aquarium sponge asap.
DaEvangelist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 PM   #7 
dragonfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthera View Post
Thanks! I didn't have an aquarium sponge or a water bottle, but I did look up some other options and I used a sock xD IT works great! But is it safe? It looks pretty ugly, but It'll have to do until I get a sponge tomorrow lol Thanks a lot!
LOL! I'm picturing that in my head!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote